Deleting Duplicate OS...

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by chris_phs, Dec 15, 2006.

1. chris_phs

chris_phs Bit poster

I had a kernel panic on my brand new MBP yesterday which I have since gotten past (hopefully :confused: )

Anyway, when I opened up parallels I got this alert which I forget what said now, but all of the items under resources were not visible other than memory allocation which was the case before I installed XP. So I thought the operating system was deleted somehow....and I installed it again. Now I have a duplicate XP OS on my VM here: User/Library/Parallels/winxp and now winxp.1 too. Can I just delete the second XP OS folder in this directory, or is there a more efficient/safe/stable way of deleting the duplicate?

Thanks,

Chris

2. joem

joem Forum Maven

You can delete the folder safely, but Parallels will remember it in recent VMs. You can select it in the Parallels console and delete it from there which will delete both. Or you could keep it in case your other one gets corrupted.

3. chris_phs

chris_phs Bit poster

What do you mean parallels will remember it in recent VMs? How long, what is the result, etc? I would rather not have the HD space used for duplicate resources, so I'd like to just delete the folder I think. I have no experience using parallels outside of installing XP as parallels was preinstalled on my machine, so bear with me...

Thanks.

4. joem

joem Forum Maven

Well, as I said, you can delete the folder, or you can select it in Parallels console and delete it. The difference is 40-50 bytes in a preferences file. If you delete the folder, it will remember the folder location until you create and open four more VMs (I think) but it really doesn't matter. If you do delete it, make sure you maintain backups of your working VM because something will eventually get corrupted. It could be tomorrow or in a year or so, but it will probably happen.