Desire Mac-like Interface

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by myramoki, Mar 14, 2007.

1. myramoki

myramoki Bit poster

I love Parallels, using it daily now. I've 5 different VMs that I use for work, web development, and personal business. But the more I use it, the more I'm frustrated by the non-Mac like experience.

For instance, the VM folders themselves are not bundles, making it difficult to rename them since the name isn't just the folder, but is actually encoded in the .pvs file.

Or how about how the app starts? Instead of being presented a list of VMs that I can select from, delete, rename, copy, or even edit its preferences (a single window could be designed to do all that easily), a new VM window opens up and a sheet pops down where I can select a VM. Once selected I can then copy that, or delete it. Why do I have to open it just to delete it?

This might be somewhat acceptable if Parallels actually had keyboard shortcuts to the New / Open / Delete menu items, but they don't, forcing me to use the mouse for most everything.

Or how about the dock icon that shows up for every VM but you have to right click to find out which VM it is (I turn the doc screenshot off)? Or the prefences that you can't get to without opening a VM?

Compare this to VMWare's Fusion product. It maybe still in beta and a long ways from being as good as Parallels, but the interface is so much more polished. You immediately jump to a VM browser window, you don't have to open a VM. From here you can create and delete VMs, eventually probably rename them, and open them to run. Fusion looks just like an app with a bunch of documents open, much like I would expect from any Mac app. And if I recall, they actually had keyboard shortcuts. The experience is just a far more pleasant one.

I really like Parallels, but the UI experience is just not as pleasant as it could be, and for those of us who are working with a lot of different VMs, its rather a pain in the butt. Here's hoping that a more Mac-like experience is in our near future.