Dev Channel or Beta Channel?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop 16 for M1 Mac Technical Preview' started by Mike Boreham, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Kilo Poster

Just curious whether most folk here are using the Dev Channel or Beta Channel in Windows Insider?
    Thanks

Screenshot 2021-01-11 at 06.55.31.png

2. HaraldSt

HaraldSt Bit Poster

Dev Channel. it as required to et to the version that had both x86 and x64 emulation.

3. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Kilo Poster

Thanks. I admit I am dabbling in this and chose the beta channel option, which has worked so far though I haven't tried to install anything yet. So with beta channel there is no emulation, just an ARM Windows 10?

4. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Kilo Poster

I did my initial set up with the Beta channel and got 21286.rs_prerelease.201218-1418
    Changed to Dev Channel and Windows Update is not offering anything.
    I did see in a Insider Blog post that "we plan to move all Insiders in the Dev Channel back to receiving builds from RS_PRERELEASE sometime after the holidays.
    I wonder if that explains that currently Dev and Beta seem to give the same build.

5. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Bit Poster

There is emulation for x86 but not for x64. x64 support was first introduced in the 21277 build.

6. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Kilo Poster

Beta channel is giving build 21286 which has x64 simulation.

7. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Bit Poster

Oh, that's weird. 21286 was only released to the Dev Channel a few days ago. I wonder if MS released it to the Beta Channel by mistake or if this is intentional.