Disappointed in 5.0 Not Out for Windows 7 & Snow Leopard Server

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Ken Pummill, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Ken Pummill

Ken Pummill Bit poster

It is disappointing that Parallels did not come out with version 5.0 before the release of Windows 7 and Snow Leopard Server. 4.0 is not there for either of these. I have tried over and over again to get both Windows 7 and Snow Leopard Server up under 4.0. Kind of works and then doesn't. Snow Leopard Server will just not finish installing. Windows 7 has intermittent hangs and incompatibility.

It is a shame but VMWARE Fusion 3.x runs both perfectly. Not one issue with either. I believe Parallels is a much better product but they have fallen short with the more emergent OS technologies.

Hopefully 5.0 will be out really soon and will run these OS versions better or I will be switching over to VMWARE Fusion permanently.

2. rbdamm

rbdamm Junior Member

The moderators have been pulling everything on here relating to 5.0... One person said it is already on the shelves... I doubt that... No mention of it on this website anywhere... I don't want to switch to VM, but it is sounding pretty good about now! Parallels is lacking all kinds of info on 5.0! Should I wait or switch now?

3. JohanB

JohanB Bit poster

I agree.
    There are some various and little, but annoying issues on Parallels 4 in Win7 (Aero not supported, impossible to use the Windows backup feature, etc...).

I was curious to see what VMWare had to offer, and I'm running the trial since a little week, and it's a pretty good surprise. Even it's not perfect, I have a better experience on Vmware than on Parallels (with Windows 7 OS, Parallels never disappointed me with other OS).

So the question is: WHEN ?
    Because there's not room for 2 virtualization licences (we know we'll have to pay for 5.0...), and I won't wait a long time just for Parallel's pretty eyes...

My 2 cents...

4. mrfausty

mrfausty Bit poster

It is out, I have it - got it late last week. Call up MacMall in Santa Monica. Really, really confused by what's going on here.

5. BertrandP

BertrandP Junior Member

@mrfausty

Well MacMall shouldn't have sent you a copy before the official launch. It's not yet officially launched even if most resellers have their copies already.

6. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

7. KasperL

KasperL Bit poster

i changed to VWF3

I changed to VWF3 - P4 was just to bad with Windows 7.

Startup time on F3 is a lot slower - but operations speed is a lot better and network does not hang every 10 minutes.

And since i bought on the 27th of Sep. no free upgrade - just lost out by 5 days...