Ditch Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by LCPGUY, Jan 25, 2009.

1. LCPGUY

LCPGUY Member

I am at the point that I no longer need Bootcamp. For the very few things I do with Windows, Parallels will be just fine.

I can't figure out how to import/migrate my Bootcamp partition into a Parallels virtual partition/disk and then just delete the Bootcamp partition.

Please HELP!!!

Thanx,
    John

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Use Parallels Transporter.

3. LCPGUY

LCPGUY Member

Tries it. It didn't work.

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

With so much information I don't even know where to start! *sarcasm*

Did you read the Manual on how it's supposed to work?

5. LCPGUY

LCPGUY Member

Yes, followed the manual in detail. Trouble is is that the Manual that came with 4.0 is old and the screens it shows do not reflect what's available in 4.0.

6. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

To delete Boot Camp Partition you need to use Boot Camp Assistant Application from /Application/Utilities
    At what step do you see the problems?

7. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

He wants to import the Bootcamp installation into a virtual machine and delete the Boot camp partition.

8. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Hello, LCPGUY,

Please, launch Boot Camp virtual machine, remove all the antiviral software and Transporter you used previously from there if any, install Transporter using the link:

http://download.parallels.com/deskt...lsTransporter-parallels-en_US-3810.237520.exe

Delete Parallels Tools from Start -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs. Shut down the machine.
    Boot directly to Boot Camp and start Transporter from Start -> All Programs -> Parallels.
    Select Advanced mode -> Local Physical Computer -> System disk of your Boot Camp (Usually C:) -> Bootable disk.
    Choose where to store the file (by default in Documents).
    Wait while migration completes and switch back to Mac.
    Open your Boot Camp drive in Finder, find the .hdd created and copy to the Mac Desktop.
    Create new machine in Parallels Desktop 4.

If there are any errors or troubles, post the detailed description here.