DNS names not resolved

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by macbeth, Jan 16, 2008.

1. macbeth

macbeth Bit poster

I have installed brand new Parallels 5582. Went online and upgraded old XP version so it includes Service Pack 2. Now I have tried to go online with Interent Explorer and received error message "cannot resolve DNS names". I then pinged a site which showed up in mac and XP Internet Explorer. What to do ?

2. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Macbeth,

This problem might occur because installing Service Pack 2 for Windows XP Professional enables the Windows Firewall. By default, the Windows Firewall blocks most incoming traffic, including the HTTP protocol and the HTTPS protocol that are used to access web sites.

Please try disabling Windows Firewall. You will find it on Control Panel.

Best regards,
    Xenos

3. macbeth

macbeth Bit poster

DNs name resolution - still no solution

Hi, unfortunately there is no Windows Firewall to be deactivated.

I believe the XP installation is screwed as Windows is encaptured in a small Window itself.
    How can I verifiy / check if XP is correctly installed and up-to-date ?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  4. Egurt

Egurt Parallels Team

macbeth
    did network connection work perfectly on previous Parallels Desktop versions?
    Please also try to setup Shared network in the VM Configuration, it should solve your problem.

5. macbeth

macbeth Bit poster

Egurt,
    thanks for your hint. I had no previous versions. Just bought the MacBook Pro with current version. Spoke to a friend who has gone through the parallels user problems and we think the problem is the screwed XP installation and not parallels. I will install other XP version and try again. Network connection were all fine previously. Will send comment as soon as new setup has been installed. Thanks anyway.