Don't have Windows Password on Host PC

Discussion in 'Accessing your PC' started by AndyB6, Jun 16, 2016.

1. AndyB6

AndyB6 Bit poster

I'm trying to log into a Windows PC from a web browser. The Windows user account on the host does not have a Windows password. When I select the Windows user, I am being told that "If the password is not specified for this account, connection is not available for security reasons"

So is a Windows user account password on the host PC mandatory?

If so, what is the purpose of the configuration option labelled:* "Log in automatically with my parallels account". (as referred to in this KB article http://kb.parallels.com/en/116684)

2. Sasti@Parallels

Sasti@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @AndyB6,
    This happens because of the Windows OS security policy. Check this article for workaround and more information.

3. AndyB6

AndyB6 Bit poster

Thanks Sasti, I'd seen that article but I was trying to establish what the configuration option "Log in automatically with my parallels account" is for if a Windows password is mandatory. Can you clarify?

4. Sasti@Parallels

Hello @AndyB6,
    This option "Log in automatically with my Parallels account" will not be applicable if you are trying to remote access your PC from a web browser. Only with the Parallels access agent application this option is available for providing necessary security.

5. AndyB6

AndyB6 Bit poster

ok thanks - I understand the browser security issue now. So I have now installed the Access app on two PC's but can't see how to access one from the other? Does this only work from a mobile device to a PC? Not PC to PC??

6. Sasti@Parallels

Hi @AndyB6,
    PC to PC connection is possible with Parallels access. Could you check this article for using web console to establish the connection. Let us know if you require further information.

7. AndyB6

AndyB6 Bit poster

I think you're missing my point or I'm not explaining myself.
    I want to connect from one PC to another WITHOUT having to set a password on the host PC. I understand that this can't be done when accessing it via a browser so my question was can I access it via an installed access agent on the remote PC as you seemed to suggest was possible in your earlier post.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  8. Sasti@Parallels

I understand your requirement now. Unfortunately, you can only use the Parallels access between two PCs with the help of browser on one of the PCs. Let me know if you need further information on this.

9. AndyB6

AndyB6 Bit poster

I see. Thank you.

10. Sasti@Parallels

You are welcome @AndyB6. Feel free to reach out any time.

11. AvantikaT

AvantikaT Bit poster

Try this one :
    Click Start, point to Run, type gpedit.msc, and then click OK to start the Group Policy Editor.
    Open Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options\Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only.
    Double-click Limit local account use of blank passwords to consol logon only.
    Click Disabled, and then click OK.
    Quit Group Policy Editor.
    NOTE: By default, this policy is on (enabled).