[FIXED]Drag & Drop issues after upgrading from Parallels 19.1 to 19.2

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by SteveB12, Dec 17, 2023.

1. SteveB12

SteveB12 Bit poster

After upgrading from 19.1 to 19.2 today I can no longer drag and drop files from Windows 11 apps to Mac apps. Each file selected appears as a folder rather than a file!

Windows 11 is running on an external drive (as before). Mac running Sonoma 14.1.2. No changes to my system other than the upgrade to 19.2

Any ideas? Or is there somewhere to download 19.1 and downgrade?

2. SteveB12

SteveB12 Bit poster

Fixed!
    Managed to find the download file for 19.1.1 (54734) ... downgraded and now all back to normal.
    So I can say with some authority that the issue of drag and drop behaviour changing was as a result of the upgrade from 19.1.1 to 19.2

3. GeoffreyK1

GeoffreyK1 Junior Member

I am having the same problem, trying to drag a file onto an apple mail message gives the message:
    The \\Mac\Home\Library\Containers\com.apple.mail\Data\tmp\ folder does not exist. The file may have been moved or deleted. Do you want to create it?
    If you click Yes it says "Unable to create the folder 'tmp\'. The system cannot find the path specified.

Can someone in Parallels please action this as it is very annoying and destroys one of the key features of Parallels.

GregoryW2 likes this.
  4. HC_3

HC_3 Hunter

hm, this problem should be solved before I update to 19.2.
    who else has observed something like this?

GregoryW2 likes this.
  5. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

GregoryW2 likes this.
  6. GeoffreyK1

GeoffreyK1 Junior Member

In addition I cannot copy a file from Windows Explorer and paste into Apple mail as an attachment, or paste as an image in Pages or Paste Item into Finder. I can copy text or a picture from a Word doc in Win11 and paste into Pages or Apple mail.

7. Maxim Rasulov

Maxim Rasulov Staff Member

Hello.

To clarify, the issue encompasses file copying from Windows explorer only? Could you please reproduce the issue and collect a technical report: right-click on the Parallels icon in Dock > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report, and provide us with the report's 9-digit ID in reply message, the data would assist us in looking into this.

Thank you!

8. GeoffreyK1

GeoffreyK1 Junior Member

Tech report 445910090 sent with screenshots from dragging a jpg file from Windows Explorer to Apple mail. As the file was dragged the icon was a folder image.

9. GeoffreyK1

GeoffreyK1 Junior Member

Note that I can drag drop an attachment in an Apple mail message into Windows Explorer, can copy a file in Dinder and paste in Explorer. It is only going from Explorer to Apple OS that seems affected.

10. Maxim Rasulov

Maxim Rasulov Staff Member

Hello Everyone.

We have released an update to Parallels Desktop that includes changes that are addressing this issue.

Please install the latest update to Parallels Desktop(Right-click on the Parallels Desktop icon -> Check for Updates) and let us know the results.

11. GeoffreyK1

GeoffreyK1 Junior Member

Drag-drop from Windows Explorer now works, dropping into an Apple mail message or a Pages document. Thanks for that fix.
    Dragging from Explorer to Finder moves the file into the folder selected in Finder. CTRL-Drag, while handled as copy in Windows, does not copy the file to the Finder folder but moves it. It is not something I normally do so can't be sure it worked before V19.2
    Copying a file in Explorer using CTRL-C or right click Copy allows the file to be pasted in a Word doc in Win 11 or in another folder in Explorer. This does not work going to Mac and using cmd-V to paste into an Apple mail message, Pages document or folder in Finder. The right click menu or Edit menu has Paste greyed out. Share Mac Clipboard is enabled. Using Finder's Edit menu Show Clipboard shows nothing in the Clipboard.
    If I right click in explorer and use Copy as path, the path in quote marks is copied to the clipboard and can be pasted in a Pages doc or email.
    Copying a file to the clipboard in Finder allows paste in Explorer, copying a jpeg file in Finder allows paste in a Word document. Copying an image in a Word doc allows paste in a Pages doc.
    Copying the text from a file name in Explorer (from the edit filename operation) allows that text to be pasted into a Pages doc

So it seems the main issue now is copying a file in Explorer doesn't allow it to be pasted anywhere on the Mac side.

12. GregoryW2

GregoryW2 Bit poster

I am experiencing this issue. I Migrated from an iMac to a MacBook Pro. Desktop items that were in Windows7 will drag and drop into the newer Parallels with Windows 11 environment. However, newer screenshots I can post migration return the error: "the system cannot find the file specified".

Toroac likes this.
  13. GregoryW2

GregoryW2 Bit poster

PLease assist - I'm experiencing this issue as well.

14. GeoffreyK1

GeoffreyK1 Junior Member

15. GeoffreyK1

GeoffreyK1 Junior Member

I am running 19.2.1 and it is OK now

16. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    For us to further investigate the technical issue, kindly provide us with the following information:
    1. Detailed explanation, with all steps by steps followed, to reproduce the issue.
    2. Screenshot of error message you are receiving.
    3. While reproducing issue, collect a technical report (right-click Parallels icon in Dock > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and provide us with the report's 9-digit ID in reply to this post.
    Thank you.

17. GregoryW2

GregoryW2 Bit poster

OK. Here it is which includes detail explanation and screenshots.
    Technical Report# 450249136

Attached Files:

18. AlexandruN

AlexandruN Bit poster

Hello,
    I just can't Drag & Drop files from mail app to File Explorer. I just send this issue to technical support. I hope to fix it.

Attached Files:

19. Matta10

Matta10 Bit poster

This drag-and-drop issue sounds frustrating. Hope the latest update smooths things out for everyone!

AlexandruN likes this.