Dragon Naturally Speaking in Parallels/XP ?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by hgcoon, Oct 23, 2006.

1. hgcoon

hgcoon Bit poster

A newbie to XP and certainly to Parallels: I have been trying to install and run Nuance's Dragon Naturally Speaking, the dictation program, on my Mac Pro under Parallels/XP Pro. The installation appears to procede normally but opening he app finds errors, often #1772 - whatever that may be. Has anyone had success in installing (and running) Naturally Speaking? I'd hate to have to go the Bootcamp route since I have several other programs running nicely under Paralells... Thanks, hgcoon

2. jsqr

jsqr Bit poster

DNS Installs OK, but with sound quality problems

I can't help you with the installation problem, unfortunately, but I can report that I have successfully installed DNS version 9 on my iMac without install problems. I haven't been able to find a way to register acceptable sound quality with any USB-based input source, so you may have two hurdles to get past. But I imagine Parallels will get the USB issue resolved one day soon.

Jsqr

3. cactustweeter

cactustweeter Junior Member

Dragon NaturallySpeaking Pro 9 works for me

Once Parallels Desktop for Mac became stable on the Mac Pro, I was able to get Dragon NaturallySpeaking Professional 9 up and running on Windows XP Professional SP2 without having to do any special tweaking.

You probably need to read this forum and make sure you have followed the instructions for setting up Parallels correctly. Have you read the following getting started guide:

http://download.parallels.com/GA/Parallels_Desktop_for_Mac_Getting_Started_Guide.pdf

Have you installed Parallels Tools? Have you selected the microphone you are going to use with Dragon NaturallySpeaking from the Mac OS's Sound Control Panel before launching Parallels. What microphone are you using with Dragon NaturallySpeaking? Is the microphone compatible with DNS? Have you used it successfully before with DNS? These could be just a few things that could be keeping you from running DNS under Parallels.

2.66 GHz Mac Pro
    4 GB RAM
    Andrea USB Pod
    Sennheiser Microphone
    Dragon NaturallySpeaking Pro 9
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    Parallels Build 1940
    Mac OS X 10.4.8