Eliminate The Timeout Feature On The Forums

Discussion in 'Parallels Website and Forum' started by kelobro, Jan 23, 2007.

1. kelobro

kelobro Member

This thread was moved from "Wish Lists".
    Alicia

3 times now I have lost new postings because of your site's timeout feature. Do you really need it? There are times when people take a long time to post or get interrupted and return to their computer to complete what they want to type after being away for an hour or so. I wouldn't mind logging in again if it didn't wipe out what I tried to submit in the process! Other sites time out while retaining the ability to return to the edit page (with text intact) once the user logs in again. You need to do the same.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2007
  2. joem

joem Forum Maven

You can copy your test to the clipboard before you attempt to post, or open another tab or window in your browser and check you are still logged in before attempting to post. If you start a post and walk away for an hour, timeout is a certainty, and if it were my site, I wouldn't make it that long. Remember, the web is stateless and the only way to know you've gone away is to note inactivity. Timing out a session is pretty standard for any site that requires login.

The forum software is from a third party, and Parallels has limited control over it. FWIW, I've never had a problem, using Safari. I've never been dumped.