Error: Unable to allocate virtual machine memory!

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by smuzta, Oct 21, 2007.

1. smuzta

smuzta Bit poster

Parallels was working great on my Mac. But, now when I try to turn on the virtual machine, I get the following pop-up message:

Unable to allocate virtual machine memory!

This error may occur mostly if there is no enough free disk space available on the physical disk to allocate virtual machine paging file. Try to clean up the physical disk (remove unnecessary files). If it doesn't help, try to re-install Parallels Desktop.

Has anyone encountered this and how do I fix it other than re-installing Parallels? I did a search on google and this seems to be a common problem, but no one had any real fixes.

Thanks for any insights you may have!

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Try restarting.

3. smuzta

smuzta Bit poster

LOL! That's such the response I used to get from the IT guys when I had a PC and had a problem. Made me remember why it is I bought a mac!

Unfortunately, restarting is not working.

I can't even start it. I open up parallels from my mac and get the white screen that says Windows XP Stopped and then lists the configuration. I then press on the green arrow to start the virtual machine and get the error message immediately. So, there's nothing of the virtual machine to restart since I can't get that even started. I have also tried restarting the mac by closing down all programs and shutting down the mac and then restarting the computer. When I then try to open parallels, after pressing the green arrow, I get the same error.

Any other suggestions?

4. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

open the VM but don't start it

clone it to an external hard disk and run it from there
    I use La Cie FW 800

clone the working VM a second time as a back up

delete the original VM
    ( I also use two screens)

Hugh W

5. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Have you run a good cache cleaner like Onyx?