Errors starting PW 2.2

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by Danorske, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Danorske

Danorske Member

When staring Parallels vm I get a couple of pop up errors. Host is Suse 10.1 and Winxp is the guest.
    The first one is :
    "Parallels Workstation encountered a problem with the /dev/rtc device. This may be caused by one of the following reasons: (1) you do not have proper system permissions, (2) the device is not found in your host PC, (3) the device is used by another process. The absence of /dev/rtc device may downgrade VM performance and make internal timers slow".

The second one is:
    "Unable to open device/file lp0".

I wonder how to correct these.

Ron

2. David Corrales

David Corrales Hunter

Hi Danorske. First of all, /dev/rtc refers to the Real Time Clock device. So you can see why Parallels tells you about possible problems if it's not able to access said device.
    It's probably just a matter of adding yourself to the group that controls that device. Or maybe changing its permissions (I'd look for the group solution first).

Second, lp0 refers to the parallel port. Unless you're planning on doing some work with it, it's just an annoyance.

3. Danorske

Danorske Member

Thanks David,
    Got the RTC to work [not pop up]. went to it as root and made it readable by root. took care of it. :)

lp0 is for my printer. Now to get it to work.
    Ron

Last edited: Sep 2, 2006
  4. David Corrales

David Corrales Hunter

You can check the permissions (and see if the file exists) for lp0.
    ls -l /dev/lp*

5. Danorske

Danorske Member

got this:
    crw-rw---- 1 root lp 6, 0 2006-09-01 14:48 /dev/lp0

Ron

6. David Corrales

David Corrales Hunter

Hmmm same here (Ubuntu dapper) but I don't see any problems when firing up parallels.
    You can try these two:

1) Go to System->Administration->Users and Groups->Groups->Show all users and groups. There select the group lp and add yourself to that group.
    2) Change the permissions of the /dev/lp file. chmod 555 /dev/lp (as root).

7. dglock2

dglock2 Hunter

Where did you find /dev/rtc? I have done a search in suse 10.1 but can't find it.

don

8. Danorske

Danorske Member

it is under /dev
    Ron

9. constant

constant Forum Maven

Check that your sound does actually work (because you heard it) in Linux.

10. Danorske

Danorske Member

David,
    I did this it did NOT work. In fact Now I can't even print from the host. :eek: How do I change it back?

Ron

11. David Corrales

David Corrales Hunter

My bad :(!! It's 666, not 555 :) Try again

12. Danorske

Danorske Member

Sorry, still no print. chmod 666 /dev/lp0

Ron

13. constant

constant Forum Maven

Try 777, and if that doesn't work, then keep going. Let us know if you get to 999.

14. David Corrales

David Corrales Hunter

Actually 777 would enable the execute bit which is not needed. 666 should enable read/write from owner, group, others.

15. Danorske

Danorske Member

I went to yast/software management and uninstalled everything to do with HP. except the hplip-hpijs. cause when I tried it had a bunch of dependancies stuff and I didn't know what to do so I left it alone. rebooted and now suse prints.
    Now just have to figure out how to make Winxp on Parallels VM to print.
    Regards
    Ron

16. David Corrales

David Corrales Hunter

17. constant

constant Forum Maven

Start the Samba server and it should appear in Parallels XP as a network printer.

18. David Corrales

David Corrales Hunter

Oh yeah, even easier :)

19. Danorske

Danorske Member

Oh, yea, "even easier". Thats easy for you to say. :=)
    I've never been able to get anything to network. {XP to Linspire}. I've looked at Samba and I guess my problem is understanding the words [terminology] used.
    In other words as far as networking is concerned I don't know what to do.
    Thanks,
    Ron

20. constant

constant Forum Maven

Just go to Yast, Network Services, Samba Server, and make sure that "all printers" and "printer drivers" are both enalbled. Click finish. Then in XPoo, go to Control Panel, Printers, and "add printer". Browse for a network printer which will appear under the hostname of your machine. If you have not supplied a host name, then it will appear as "linux.site". Double click the hostname to show printers on that machine. Select the printer and complete the steps for setup.