Everything works except, firewire

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by fo-tik, Jun 27, 2007.

1. fo-tik

fo-tik Junior Member

I have Parallels 3.0. I have WinXP SP2. Everything works great, except I can't see the firewire drives I have attached to my Macbook Pro. I have MacDrive installed on the XP VM but it states that it can only see devices that have drivers installed and working. I tried to Add New Hardware and XP cannot see the firewire ports on the Mac. I download Boot Camp, made the driver CD and installed everything I could find on that disk, into XP. No joy. Parallels doesn't show firewire as an installable item on the XP VM start page. I went to the Apple site and tried to search for Mac firewire drivers for Win XP but no joy. Same thing when Googling for it on the net.

Anyone have any ideas where I can find firewire drivers or how I can configure XP to see my external drives? BTW - the external firewire 800 drives show up under OS X and in fact, that's where my XP VM is located. I use the firewire externals because I'm a digital photographer and these drives are the best bang for the buck performance wise.

Thanks for reading... enjoy your day!

2. AlanH

AlanH Pro

Parallels doesn't support Firewire directly. The best bet it to put an alias or symbolic link to your Firewire drive in a shared location on your OS X hard drive, then you should be able to access the drive from Windows via that alias. I've tried it with a symbolic link and that works.

3. fo-tik

fo-tik Junior Member

Thanks Alan. That worked great!

4. John Howard

John Howard Hunter

Try editing the VM (with the VM off) then adding your firewire drive to the list of shared folders. Then start the VM.

I did that and my LaCie firewire drive is completely accessible from within my VM and my OS X desktop - at the same time.

(I am using PD 2.5 build 3214. Don't know whether this was disabled in v3.0.)