Exception when trying to start a VM

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by MatthewR, Sep 5, 2006.

1. MatthewR

MatthewR Member

I have sent my Macbook Pro in for some repairs and backed up my whole drive before doing so. I was in a rush and didn't bother to copy out the files inside Parallels figuring I'd just boot the VM on another machine. I downloaded the Parallels Workstation for Windows and got a trial key today figuring I'd just drop in the files and boot it up. The VM loads fine and shows all the correct settings. Unfortunately, it doesn't work quite so smoothly as I''d hoped.

Whenever I hit the power on button I get the message "Attention! Parallels Workstation has encountered an internal exception. It is recommended to shutdown virtual machine, exit the Parallels Workstation and start it again." and then nothing happens. I have tried turning acceleration down to no avail. Anyone ever see this before? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Host: Windows XP SP2 with all current patches on a dual P4 Xeon w/ HT and 1GB RAM
    Guest: Windows XP SP2 with all current patches set for 512MB RAM, 2 fixed size disks, host-only networking

2. David Corrales

David Corrales Hunter

Did you create the VM in a different version from the actual one? say 2.1 vs 2.2?

3. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Try to create new VM on and attach to it your old HDD file. It should work.

PS: Configuration file (*.PVS) may have minor incompatibilities when migrating from one primary OS to another and even from one PC to another (because of paths to files and devices).

4. MatthewR

MatthewR Member

Thanks Andrw, that worked!

The paths to the two hard disk images appeared to auto-correct themselves, and I had gone and corrected the path to the image for the floppy drive to the same provided image in the PW install directory. Since I can't see any other paths, I'm not sure where th issue was, but the fresh image fixes it.

I think a platform migration tool would be useful if you guys could add such a thing as I have a feeling I'm not the only one that may care to move a VM from opne host to another on occassion.

While recreating the VM configuration, I noticed that in Parallels Workstation for Windows an emulated floppy drive can use a physical one directly and an emulated serial port can likewise be mapped to a real physical serial port. Both of these capabilities are sorely missed in Parallels Desktop for Mac.