extreme slowness with XP VM

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by schvenk, Jul 24, 2009.

1. schvenk

schvenk Member

I was really excited when I upgraded to Parallels 4 a few months ago because my VM was snappy and my CPU usage low. Unfortunately, that's just not true consistently, or even usually. Here's what I'm seeing:

- If I suspend and then resume my VM, the visible resume process is relatively quick (maybe a minute), but then the VM just sits there, unresponsive, for several minutes.

- Once it starts to be responsive, open apps (usually Yahoo! Messenger) keep hanging repeatedly for several minutes more.

- When the VM _is_ running, it seems to alternate between being relatively responsive and horribly unresponsive. By unresponsive I mean I'll launch an app and have to wait a couple minutes before it appears. Or I'll open an Explorer window and just get an hourglass for minutes on end.

The net result is that Windows is nearly unusable, or at least not predictably usable. I'll admit, I didn't have this problem with Fusion, even if it lacked the Pause function and low CPU usage. Any idea what might be going on and how to fix it? Someone suggested it was a problem with virtual memory, but because these things tend to persist after the app's been active for some time I'm not sure I buy it.

Thanks!
    Dave