F11 and F12 in Build 5162

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Marc Vos, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Marc Vos

Marc Vos Member

I am having a problem with the F11 and F12 keys. Since build 5162, they act the same as the PrtScn and the ScrLk keys. I need the F12 urgently because I work on iSeries AS400 through TN5250 emulation and there you can't be without an F12 key.

Runing build 5162 under Leopard on a MacBook Pro with 4Gb Ram.

2. gegervision

gegervision Hunter

You can make a key mapping in the VM editor as work around for now.

3. Marc Vos

Marc Vos Member

I can't see where ...

4. Marc Vos

Marc Vos Member

I found out that the F11 and F12 key not working has nothing to do with Parallels - it's Leopard or the Microsoft Destop 6 software. Since a restart, my ScrLk and Pause/Break keys are the same as the Fn-F1 and Fn-F2 keys (i.e. brightness - / +)

5. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

I hope a fix comes soon. I have a work around in my Delphi editor but it involves using the mouse to toggle. I can't find a VM editor where I can do a key mapping either.

6. robsoft

robsoft Junior Member

Hey! Someone else who uses Delphi in Parallels. :)

7. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

Ya! What version you running. We are on Delphi7 but have just upgraded (and I'm using) Delph2007 which is really nice but takes some getting used to. It also has a big memory problem with the IDE.

What kind of software do you do? I work for a bio-medical device company. Most of the stuff I do is robotics, measurements, lasers, temp controllers etc. You can check out some of our older products at www.sysdyn.com. All written in Delphi.

M

8. robsoft

robsoft Junior Member

Me too! Delphi 7 Enterprise, a few (newer/smaller) projects in D2007, and one or two bits on the side in C# (VS2005). Mostly it's electronic point of sale stuff - SQL Express or Interbase databases, thick client-server applications using Dev Express controls, Report Builder and a few extra bits. Nothing particularly exciting or glamourous. Many of the systems feed back into bigger 'back-end' systems using SQL Server or Oracle. :)

Back when Delphi 1 was new, I used to do data-acquisition stuff (Foxbase and then Delphi/Oracle) for pharmaceutical companies, so I envy your 'train set' - I used to play with electronic balances, radiation counting devices and slide/sample retrieval machines. Now it's cash-tills, bar-codes, cheque-readers, receipt printers and electronic exchange-rate boards - not so sexy!

I've been using Parallels on the Mac since it came out - it was a key factor in my becoming a 'switcher'. Now almost everything I do is done on the Mac, using VMs where necessary. (I have a VM for each dev platform I use - a D7 one, a D2007 one, a VS2005 one, and then several deployment/testing VMs).

I used the 16xx build for AGES, it was totally solid. I've been on the 3214 build since it came out, and it's been spot-on. Really great little product, very reliable, good performer. Runs XP Pro SP 2 at least as well as any real PC laptop I've ever had.

I'm gutted that it's not playing nicely with Leopard because I really don't want to upgrade to the latest version of Parallels if I can help it. It's not the money - I've easily had my money's worth out of what I've got and don't begrudge paying them more cash, the product is damn cheap for what it gives you; it's the fact that I can't help but feel that there's lots of new stuff in Parallels now that I don't need, and that might make it slower/less stable than it used to be. Of course, I have no real grounding for that, it's just a feeling I have.

It's almost like I want SWSoft to offer a 'lite' version of Parallels - no Coherence, no DX9 (or whatever) stuff, no weird and wonderful USB hoops to jump through; just a lean and mean PC machine. For people who only want to run things like Delphi, SQL Express and VS2005. I need network support, simple USB support for the odd flash drive, and that's it. :)

If the resume problem isn't resolved in a couple of days, I'll have to go down the upgrade path I guess, because it's already a massive pain in the backside having to shut the machines down when I switch around. Parallels is dog-slow when you run more than one VM, so I tend to suspend one and resume another when I'm switching between machines. At the moment, that's a really laborious and painful thing to do!

Anyway, I'm rambling. I've bookmarked your site for some r-n-r surfing at the weekend - I'll find out where you're located, etc :) I'm in the UK, our website is www.robsoft.net although a fair bit of what we do is 'bespoke' for companies and so we can't advertise it on the web.

Great meeting you - take care!

9. Marc Vos

Marc Vos Member

I found out that it is not Parallels fault. It's Leopard. Therefore I have a feature request! Since 'Send Keys -> F11' etc. does work, can you, Parallels team, make a floating palette for the keys that can be sent with 'Send Keys' ?? It's a bit clumsy I have to choose a submenu item each time.

10. Fulvio

Fulvio Bit poster

I have the same problem using TN5250 and MacBook Pro and of course I need F8 to F12 funcion keys.
    In your opinion it's a Leopard's problem but I have tried to install Parallels Desktop 3214 and it works without any keyboard's problem. Problems appear when I install Parallels 3.0 (with Leopard).

11. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Dear all,

Thank you for the reports. QA team is investigating this Parallels+Leopard issue. We are working to fix this.

Best regards,
    Xenos