"Failed to query TCP/IP" network interface

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by strells, Jan 11, 2010.

1. strells

strells Product Expert

All of a sudden, my network interface in my Boot Camp XP SP3 VM gives that error when trying to repair the connection. An "ipconfig /all" in Windows gives an empty display. I've tried deleting the network interface from the Device Manager, but that just freezes Device Manager, requiring a force quit. I've tried removing the network interface "card" from the VM configuration, rebooting, then adding it back in again with another reboot with no affect. Why would my connection suddenly just fail?

Help! It worked fine yesterday. I didn't do anything!

Steve

P.S. I've also tried another test VM. Same problem.

2. I-che

I-che Pro

Hi strells,
    can you please provide screenshot of exact error message?
    As basic troubleshooting steps, you can recreate network adapters in configuration of a virtual machine (simply remove network adapter, add it again and check different network modes), remove Parallels Tools from Add/Remove programs and install them back from Virtual Machine menu.

3. strells

strells Product Expert

I've tried everything you've said. Nothing has worked. I'm getting very slow response through email support (ticket 851268).

Please help!

Steve

4. I-che

I-che Pro

Hi Steve,
    the ticket has been escalated to level 2 support; we will continue troubleshooting in ticket.

5. strells

strells Product Expert

For others with this issue, support finally got back to me. The solution is to reset TCP/IP:

To do it, please open Command Prompt in Windows (Start > Run.. > type 'cmd' > OK)

And enter following command:

netsh winsock reset

Restart Windows and use next command:

netsh int ip reset reset.log

Restart Windows once again.

This worked.

Steve

TraneF likes this.
  6. I-che

I-che Pro

good to know it worked.

7. rgeorge67

rgeorge67 Bit poster

Ever since the last patch, I have lost network/Internet connectivity in Windows 7. I tried the fix listed above and it worked! BUT, when I restart my Macbook Pro, it goes back to not working. Re-doing the above will fix it again, but it is a real pain each morning when I boot my computer. I never had this problem before the patch. Does anyone have permanent fix? I've already tried uninstalling Parallel tools and reinstalling. That didn't work either. I use both Mac and Windows everyday at work and is essential that I get this working. Please help.

I am using a Macbook Pro with OS 10.6, parallels 5.0, and Windows 7 Professional. All programs and OSes are updated with the latest patches.

Thanks for any help.