Fatal Error when Switching to Coherence

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jhorwitz, Mar 23, 2007.

1. jhorwitz

jhorwitz Bit poster

When switching to Coherence view I get a "fatal error in machine monitor" message which stops my virtual machine. I made Coherence and Parallel Tools "Trusted Programs" in ZoneAlarm, but the problem persisted.

When I disable my ZoneAlarm antivirus and firewall protection, nothing changes. But when I uninstall ZoneAlarm, Coherence works perfectly.

When I reinstalled ZoneAlarm, the problem recurred, so I uninstalled and then reinstalled in Safe Mode. Coherence then worked perfectly. But when I stopped the virtual machine, then restarted it, the problem recurred.

I've repeated the above sequence three times, each time with the same results. Any suggestions?

2. dtidmore

dtidmore Member

Same thing here

I am curious if you noticed the problem with version 6 of ZoneAlarm? My problem started after I upgraded to version 7. I also tried disabling ZA with the same results. I am going to uninstall ZA and see if that returns Coherence to normalicy.

I have sent the Parallels team detailed information but no response so far.

David Tidmore

3. jhorwitz

jhorwitz Bit poster

I finally solved the problem by uninstalling Zone Alarm, reinstalling in Safe Mode, and unchecking "Load Zone Alarm Security Suite on Startup". I then have to start Zone Alarm Manually from the desktop, bu Coherence mode works. Maybe Zone Alarm will have a patch for this.

Jeff Horwitz

4. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Unfortunately, ZoneAlarm 7 is not compatible with Coherence mode. It seems the bug in the ZoneAlarm 7. I recommend to use ZA 6.

5. dtidmore

dtidmore Member

Please elaborate a bit

Alexg,
    You state that the problem we are encountering with ZA7 is a bug in ZA7, BUT it is Coherence that is CRASHING. ZA7 works perfectly under Parallels Full Screen and OS Window mode as well in non-virtual Windows. We need details as to exactly what is ZA7 doing that is in conflict with Coherence. Telling ZoneLabs that another software vendor claims ZA7 has a bug will not carry much weight given that ZA7 works perfectly except with Coherence. I am not saying that ZA7 is blameless, we just need to have details to forward to ZoneLabs.

David