Fedora 4 host install problem

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by bsuthard, May 31, 2006.

1. bsuthard

bsuthard Bit poster

Hello,

I've just installed 2.1 on a fresh "full" install of Red Hat Fedora 4 (the exact same one in the supported list). When I try to start a new VM, it hangs the entire OS. Has anyone got any hints? The install and config appeared to work just fine.

Thanks,

Bryan

2. constant

constant Forum Maven

How much memory is left for the host after you start the VM?

3. bsuthard

bsuthard Bit poster

I can't start any VM is the problem. This is where it hangs everything up. The server is a Dell Poweredge 2600 Xeon dual 2.8GHz and it has 8Gig of RAM, 12Gig of swap and nothing besides the OS and parallels running on it.

4. bsuthard

bsuthard Bit poster

More info:

After an extended lock time (many minutes) I get a pop up that says:

"Unable to map VM memory! (2)"

5. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

bsuthard,

Thank you for reporting - we will try to reproduce your issue in our labs. From the first glance it seems somehow related to the huge amount of physical RAM on your host.

6. bsuthard

bsuthard Bit poster

Thanks for looking into it.

I uploaded the standard log file. Let me know if you need any more info.

Bryan

7. bsuthard

bsuthard Bit poster

I was able to get an evaluation copy of VMWARE to work on my server.

Since I just purchased WS2.1 and it seems to run great on my Mac Laptop host, I would prefer to use it it for my server also instead of VMWARE for obvious compatibility reasons.

Any prognosis or does it seem like my hardware is simply not going to work?

8. bsuthard

bsuthard Bit poster

I have not received any reply from support on this item. I will need to request a refund on my purchase. Who do I contact?

9. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

bsuthard,

Sorry PW 2.1 doesn't support host RAM > 4G. Support for >4G memory will be included into Workstation 3.0 and Server 3.0.

Check your Private Messages - I sent you refund information there.

10. bsuthard

bsuthard Bit poster

Okay,

I plan to keep it since I reduced my RAM to 4 Gig out and it works. What is the expectation being set for a 3.0 release?

Bryan

11. bsuthard

bsuthard Bit poster

Even at 4Gig Ram, I am having the same problems with locking although it does sometimes work when I boot a Windows XP VM, but never works when I try to boot a Red Hat VM. I think the issue for me extends beyond just physical RAM.