Fedora (guest) only shows 800x600

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by lasteink, Apr 14, 2006.

1. lasteink

lasteink Bit poster

My desktop (WinXP) with NVIDIA GeForce 5200 runs 1280x1024 with no problems. When I instlaled fedora 4 as a guest it seems to be locked at 800x600 as the max resolution. I've tried various drivers (Nvidia generic, nvidia geforce (generic)) and nothing helps. The Xserver will not start and the system needs to be reset to a generic video VESA driver. Here's my question:

1. Why didn't the fedora 4 guest installation detect the correct video card in the first place?

2. (more important) How can I break out of 800x600? ....

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Use xorgconfig to configure any resolution up to 1600x1200x32bpp. Just mind to choose "Generic VESA" videocard.

3. lasteink

lasteink Bit poster

Solution.

xorgconfig did not run. I do not know why.

Well, the solution was simple, but not obvious. Thank you for the advice to use the VESA (generic) driver. With this advice I decided to only modify the monitor setting to LCD > 1024x768 (or any other setting...they all seem to work). With the generic monitor I was locked into 800x600 as max.

...so the problem had nothing to do with Parallels except for the "non-obvious" driver selection for video card. As far as I know this is a Fedora problem and I'm just a newbie at linux...

Andrew - Thank you for your assistance!