Finally got Bootcamp working...solutiom to NTFS.SYS & HAL.DLL problems

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by lh99, Jan 21, 2007.

1. lh99

lh99 Bit poster

Here's the Bootcamp/Parallels story on my Macbook Pro in case it helps anyone else out:

1. I tried to set up Bootcamp with Parallels Beta 1, but Parallels Tools didn't install properly and it wouldn't work. The Parallels Tools uninstall didn't work either, so subsequent Parallels Betas refused to load Bootcamp.

2. I removed the Parallels registry entry from my Bootcamp install, which allowed Parallels to try to boot the partition, but it would fail with a NTFS.SYS Missing or Corrupt error. I gleaned from other user's experiences that even after removing the registry entry, there were still components from Parallels Tools installed that were virtually impossible to remove.

3. So I reformatted my XP partition. After reinstalling Windows, the first thing I did was boot into OS X and try my new Windows install in Parallels. Of course, it didn't work. The Initializing Parallels Tools overlay came up, but Windows hung up at a black screen and never got any further. I rebooted the VM, and got a corrupted HAL.dll error. I tried rebooting the computer into native Windows, which also gave a corrupted HAL.dll error. Fun.

4. Instead of trying to fix the now hosed XP install, I reinstalled Windows again. Before trying Parallels again, I read up on the HAL.dll error here and applied the boot.ini modifications posted by diamondsw here. I rebooted into OS X, tried Parallels again, and it worked this time! I booted back into native Windows, and that worked too!

Parallels guys, thanks for all the cool features, but I think you've still got some bugs to work out before release.

2. sbatchelder

sbatchelder Bit poster

I don't want to make anyone at Parallels mad at me, but I am having a REALLY HARD TIME with this program. I would like to warn anyone who isn't computer savy to not buy the program. I keep getting the black screen of death even with uninstalling tools in safe mode and reintalling. I agree with lh99 that there are some serious issues to work out. That said, does anyone know how I can convert this whole thing to boot camp? I understand that I will have to uninstall windows so that I can reinstall in boot camp? Any help?

3. Devin

Devin Bit poster

I would wait to do boot camp till the final release is posted. the RC1, while great and entirely stable for me, is still beta software and probably will not do for you.

I'm not sure what exactly you are doing with your VM, but my experience with build 1970 has been very good. Never blue screened - never had issues doing anything on it Parallels claimed it would do.

If you are using something prior to 1970, I would suggest grabbing the newest build from their download section.

4. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

Beta (Bootcamp) + Beta (Parallels >1970) == accept problems

Nothing personal to *this* post... Though what most people in these forums seem to forget about Bootcamp and Parallels Desktop is that **both** products are in Beta stage or badly named RC.

Unless you at least restrict yourself to the current released build of Parallels Desktop for Mac which is build 1970. Anything higher than build 1970 and you're playing on the bleeding edge of software beta testing.

Some are very quick at wanting Bootcamp latest Beta + Parallels latest Beta + Vista latest Beta (because not everyone already have the so-called final Vista builds) and then as well as quick at crying it doesn't work good enough. Yes: it doesn't YET work good enough for everybody and general users needs.

5. erutherford

erutherford Junior Member

for me these last couple of beta's have been running better then 1970.