finally SUCCESS!! Was able to get my macbook to crawl, SUPER slow speed~!!!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Sean_Price, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Sean_Price

Sean_Price Bit poster

well quite honestly i didn't think it was possible, i make music, music production and whatnot so i have some pretty intense processing programs, but my macbook pro never even slowed down once...

but in stalled the new build of parallels the 3288 and whatnot..

I then installed windows xp with 512mb
    i then installed Windows vista ULTIMATE with 1gb
    and then i installed jus for kicks and giggles Linux Ubuntu with 256mb's..

and then the kicker... foolishly I tried to run all threee... and let me tell you, thats a no, no...

the thing jus crawls!! i mean jus movin the cursor from point a to point b in os x in next to impossible it would take ten minutes jus for the cursor to move...forget about clickin on anything or tryin to do anything...

I couldn't even do the force quit....and everything was running jus extremely slow...i should say so slow that you would think it was locked up or frozez but oh it wasn't...

but yeah jus thought i'd share...

btw my macbook pro is my 1st official foray into the world of apple and the madness that comes wit it!!

keep it peace

stay up

oNej

p.s. anyone know why the linux ubuntu will not let the resolution be any bigger then 1024x768? i want it to take up the entire screen of my macbook pro... 17"

2. itsdapead

itsdapead Hunter

In the precise, technical jargon of IT support experts everywhere: "Well, don't do that then!" :)

Yes, Ubuntu is a pain like that.

(EDIT: Deleted suggested method - I tried it and it needs more debugging.)

Basically you have to do a little xorg.conf magic to set the refresh rates and available modes - look for Ubuntu community help - lack of friendly tools for advanced screen configuration is one of Ubuntu's weak spots.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  3. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

try dropping your VMs memory requirements.. I run XP in 256mb, vista in 512 and redhat linux in 256 .. they all run nicely at the same time and OSX doesnt suffer too badly... Obviously its not lightning quick, but its still workable.

Ive got a 2.16Ghz Macbook Pro with 2GB ram... I found that if OSX doesnt have at least 700mb of memory to work in it'll crawl... so adjust your VMs accordingly.

4. Sean_Price

Sean_Price Bit poster

thanks for tips i shall give it a try... i'm likin this ubuntu tho... seems pretty much a mix of xp and os x...

regarding changing the vm's.. is that possible w/o havin to re install everything?

also windows vista recommends the following: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/systemrequirements.mspx

Home Basic Home Premium / Business / Ultimate

1 GB of system memory

40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space

Support for DirectX 9 graphics with:

WDDM Driver

128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)

Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware

32 bits per pixel

let me know what you think!!

ay yo this board is pretty dope, learnin alot off it jus by searchin and readin posts on here!
    oNe

5. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

you jst edit the configuration of the vm in parallels, no need to reinstall... as for vista minimum specs, well they are for a full machine with vista using aero and all its funky eye candy.. parallels doesnt suport half of it anyway.. so all that resource isnt needed..