finding windows ARM based - cannot find it on the insider page...

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop 16 for M1 Mac Technical Preview' started by KarenS1, Feb 18, 2021.

1. KarenS1

KarenS1 Bit Poster

Hello, just got the new Macbook with the M1 processor. Installed Parallels. registered on the windows insider page. But there I am turning in rounds. All information given there is for Windows PCs. If I am following the links to find the ARM Window version given here in the forum I arrive at the page where I am asked to register as Insider member. From forum posts I also understood that at some stage I will need a valid Windows key, even if I use the Beta version. Certainly a stupid question, but where can I buy such a valid key? Would be great if someone can help.

2. KarenS1

KarenS1 Bit Poster

Went again to the Insider Programm, after registration I am getting this information:
    • To install Windows 10 Insider Preview Builds1, you must be running a licensed version of Windows 10 on your device. You can install Windows 10 here if your device is currently running an older version or if you need to buy Windows. If you're having issues installing Windows 10, you can also download a Windows 10 Insider Preview ISO to get started.
      I just do not understand how I can have a licensed version of Windows 10 on my Mac if it is first a Mac and secondly with the Mac with the M1 processor. If I then follow a link in the same text I could buy a Windows 10 version for 259 EUR but it is also not available right now.
      I really would be grateful to get some advice.

3. KarenS1

KarenS1 Bit Poster

Finally I was able to get to the place where I would be able to download Windows Insiderpreview ARM64. In fact you need to be signed in into the insider page and only then you need to copy the below link into the browser.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewARM64
    And finally there it is the button "Windows 10 Client ARM64 Insider Preview - Build 21286". But when clicking on it I was receiving an error message, but finally it worked.

4. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

You can download here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewiso?wa=wsignin1.0
    You will be asked to sign in. Just click on the circle in the top right and you should be able to download. If the link doesn't work for you go to insider.windows.com and scroll down a bit. On the right side there's a blue part with links. Click ISOs and then choose Windows 10 on ARM Insider Preview.

You don't necessarily need a Windows license key, but if you want to activate Windows there are some options.
    If you already have a Windows 10 Pro license (Home won't work with the Insider Build) that you used before you can use that. Make sure it's linked to your Windows account to transfer the license.
    You can buy a license from the Store app or the Microsoft online store.
    You can go to amazon and probably get a retail license slightly cheaper there. There will also be really cheap licenses. Those are not retail licenses, but OEM or volume licenses. OEM licenses are not transferable and only work once. Volume licenses are risky and might not work at all.

5. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

I love it when messages are stuck in moderation and my reply looks like I didn't bother reading past the first message. :D
    Well, at least the second part is still valid.
    About the Windows 10 not available thing, MS offers a USB or download option. The USB version is probably the one that's not available. Switch to download and you should be able to buy it.