First Observations with Beta6

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Loopster, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Loopster

Loopster Bit poster

Wow, surprised to find Beta6 out so quick.
    I found Beta5 worked fine for me without any of the Kernel Panics I was getting before.

First.. My Mini.. :)
    Bought April 15, tax day for us in the USA. Nice present for me.
    1.6GHz Dual Core, upgraded to 2GB of memory myself, Corsair Memory 667Mhz.

Dual VM's running at all time. The first OS is Windows 2003 server, acting as an Active Domain Controller, and DNS. The second OS is Windows 2003 running MS-Exchange 2003, IIS, etc..
    Both VM's have the Intel VT-x support turned on.

With Beta4 I had the first OS crash daily, with or without the VT-x support enabled. The second OS never crashed once. It was kind of funny as I built the second OS from a clone of the first.

With Beta 5 all of the Kernel Panic's stopped. Everything worked great..

Upgrade to Beta6
    I ran shutdown on both of my VM's, not just pausing or saving to an image. I then upgraded to Beta6. ReBooted both VM's, everything worked fine. I manually de-installed the Parallel Tools, rebooted, then installed the new Parallel Tools, and rebooted again. I know it sounds like lots of work, but I would like to keep my VM's clean and simple. It also give me a chance to see how reliable the "rebooting" feature is of the VM's.

So far so good, except... :)

I saw a note about an auto update feature. I went to "Help", "Check for Updates...", found that I am running 2.1.1812, selected manual check, and received a message telling me an update was available to "Build 1802.2, Version 2.1.2808.2, Size of 15MB.
    I am not sure but I think the AutoUpdate system is not working perfectly yet.

I tried using the "Shared Folder" option and was looking for this when I first installed.
    Copying from the Host OS went fine, but copying the same file, (250MB) back from the VM to the Host OS, copying kind of "surged". It seemed to run fine, then slow/stall, then continue. It appears that the disk caching from the Host OS has alot to do with it as I can see the external drive light stay off even though files are being copied to the external drive. Intresting...

All in all, things seem to be working fine with no crashing. I am still learning, trying to read the fine print about the new options, and testing each one methodically.
    I don't run full screen, I only "RDC" into each VM to control the setups.

Things run great here!!

Thanks Parallels Team!!!

Loopster..

2. dbourne

dbourne Member

Don't try it ;-) I did, I thought it might have been a down grade to restore wireless ethernet. No such luck...after a number of reinstalls etc I'm back with beta6 (waiting for 7 and wirelss again ;-)