Freeze during device connect mullered my startup disk

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dmeehan, Mar 5, 2007.

1. dmeehan

dmeehan Bit poster

I was trying to disconnect the CD drive from my Ubuntu VM and reconnect it to my XP VM, both of which were running at the same time. The mouse could still move around the screen, but there was no keyboard or click response from any window, Mac or VM. Activity monitor (which happened to already be open) showed a number of apps going red and 'not responding'.

Only recourse was to Cmd-Opt and Power to switch off. On restart, I got a Kernel Panic (You must restart your computer...) and nothing else. Couldn't boot to safe mode, or start from the OS X Install disk. Spent an hour on the phone to india whilst they took me through hoops (hell I know my way around the mac internals now). They finally gave up and told me to take it to a service centre.

Not willing to give up at what could only be a fragged file system, I did some digging and found the following command:

fsck_hfs -d -r -y -f /dev/disk0s2

This is the correct way to do a fix on a Journalled HFS disk (which my 3 day old MacBook appear to have as its startup disk). This found and corrected errors that 'fsck -fy' could not even find.

Booted successfully at first attempt after that and all appears well.

Just thought I'd log this here for posterity. I can't be certain that this was a Parallels induce corruption, may just have been the fact I had to switch off, although it was parallels that seemed to be having the problem with the device connection.

Cheers
    Dave