Freeze when closing a window

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by andrewr, May 18, 2007.

1. andrewr

andrewr Bit poster

Is this a known issue?

I am running Vista Ultimate in Parallels on a MacBook with 2GB of RAM.

Whenever I close a window (e.g. a Firefox browser window) Parallels appears to freeze for about 10-15 seconds and the Mac 'busy' spinner is shown.

2. nfuerst

nfuerst Bit poster

Andrewr, I've reported this problem to the Parallels support folks several times. :( You are not alone. And, it is not limited to Vista - I am running XP Pro and it suffers the same. I don't seem to recall this happening prior to build 3188.

3. andrewr

andrewr Bit poster

I have opened a case with them too, will see what they say.

A painful roadblock to productivity! :mad:

4. lucasjans

lucasjans Bit poster

Same problem

I am having the same issue. It's very annoying when I am working.... has anyone found a resolution? I am running coherence, if that matters.

5. andrewr

andrewr Bit poster

This problem appears to have resolved itself for me.

I am not sure if Parallels automatically updated with a version that fixed the issue or I did something to help the situation?

One thing I did that might have helped is reduced down the allocated video memory to the "recommended" level of 16MB. May be that helped?

6. lucasjans

lucasjans Bit poster

My memory is already at the recommended level of 16mb. I'll keep searching.... anyone else having this issue?

7. Sideways

Sideways Member

I have the freeze problem also. MBP with 2Gb (1Gb to Parallels) running XP SP2. Locks the entire machine including all OSX apps. Spinning beachball etc. Currently running 3186 because of the problems I've seen reported with 3188.
    Running 16Mb of video memory

Parallels, PLEASE sort this one out .....

8. lucasjans

lucasjans Bit poster

Sideways: I changed my memory to 668 (the recommended level) and the problem dissapeared. Wish I could use more memory in Windows!!

9. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

Generally that Mac OS spinner and hangs indicate that you are using too much memory for both Mac OS and VM, causing the system to use the swap file constantly.
    It's better to keep VM allocated memory at the recommended level (it wouldn't be called recommended without serious reasons :) ). You can also try switching VM cache optimization policy to Mac OS (go to VM Configuration Editor - Options - Advanced), it will degrade your VM performance to some level, but it may also improve the Mac OS performance when VM is running.