Fusion

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by manfredell, Nov 5, 2006.

1. manfredell

manfredell Hunter

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  2. rcardona2k

rcardona2k Member

I think it is in poor taste to post links to screenshots of a competitor's product on their forums. Why don't you go spam VMware forums with links to screenshots of Parallels too??

3. GFBurke

GFBurke Member

Nana, it's fine.
    Take a look at the n00bism that went into that program.
    sad.

Not to mention it's frik'n slow as crap.

4. Paul Linden

Paul Linden Member

Let's not get partisan about an application. Parallels is great, I haven't any issues with it since a couple of kernel panics in an early beta, but VMWare is the industry standard, and Fusion is a private beta with debug code enabled. Expect the first public beta to be much better and the final version to be as good as or better than Parallels.

When VMWare releases for the Mac, I'll probably go with it, if only because my work's IT department provides a number of standard VMWare images (rhel, Windows Server etc) that I can't use on my Mac.

Of course (big hint here for future additions), if Parallels provided an easy way of importing these images I would stay with them since it really is an impressive piece of work and I've already paid for it.

5. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

Why do you say this? The Parallels people NEED to see what their competition is doing.

Just maybe we'll ALL get finally USB 2.0, better playthrough so we can burn CDs in our VMs and other features that people have been asking for sooner now thanks to fusion.

I paid Parallels $79.99 thus I want to see Parallels succeed!

Besides everybody knows, competition equals better products.

6. manfredell

manfredell Hunter

This was just my point in posting this. Im a very early Parallels user and very happy. I did not say anything against Parallels in my post, did I!?

You should revisit the link, I quote:

VMware seemed to have no problem detecting iSight, iPod (connected), Bluetooth, IR Remote, Ethernet, Sound or CD which was impressive for such an early release. You can see all of these items listed in the top toolbar of the app (click any of the images above to see the high resolution version, in all of its lightbox glory).

. The fact that VMware supply guest tools for Linux is going to win them a chunk of ex-Parallels users as this feature is one that many people have been missing.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  7. akac

akac Hunter

The fact is - even Parallels "detects" the iSight, iPod, and Bluetooth. It takes very little knowledge to do that. Simply enumerate the info in the IOKit. I see all those things in my Parallels build right now.

What takes a lot more time and work is actually implementing a way to use them and write USB 2.0 emulation. I know VMWare has done that, but I'm just being picky.

8. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

If VMWare has implemented USB 2.0 and the capability to burn CDs in their BATA software, then making those features work isn't THAT complicated thing to do.

I'm guessing is that unfortunately that VMWare has a lot more programmers at their disposal.

9. akac

akac Hunter

VMWare has had years of time to get their driver support ready. Not only that but they started work on Fusion before Parallels.

As a developer myself I also know that its pretty quick to get an alpha quality build out there. It takes a LOT longer to get a usable build. My understanding is that VM Fusion right now is at best alpha quality. Especially its USB 2.0 support. My understanding is Parallels has that too inside.

I can show you today some really cool things in some of the software I'm writing today which won't be out until mid next year. But if I show you that now - does that constitute shipping? No. So don't compare alpha quality features to released software.

10. nivenh

nivenh Member

If VMWare has implemented USB 2.0 and the capability to burn CDs in their BATA software, then making those features work isn't THAT complicated thing to do.

how on earth would you know about the internals of either product to even say something like that?? Parallels has had a pretty stable and feature complete VM for quite some time, it must be easy, why isn't VMWare stable and on store shelves yet?

I'm guessing is that unfortunately that VMWare has a lot more programmers at their disposal.

of course they do. they are owned by a giant corporation, have twice as many products, and probably 100x the profits. being that that is the case, you can expect to pay much more for VMWare much like you do now on other platforms. That also begs the question, why has theirs taken so much longer to get out the door since their pockets are so deep and have so many developers? You paint a picture as if VMWare's solution is already giving Parallels a run for its money, and its clear from using the alpha that that's nowhere near the case.

11. dan20164

dan20164 Junior Member

ooohhh..ahhhhh.. I like the Parallels look better..

12. mcg

mcg Hunter

I see no problem posting competitor screenshots here.

Parallels is in the enviable position of having a relatively stable platform on which to add feature improvements. VMWare on the other hand is in the unenviable position of having to stabilize a feature-filled product: and because of VMWare's history, its customers would not be so forgiving if those features were not there.

The fact is that Fusion has a long way to go until GA. I'd love to see Parallels take this opportunity to pick off a few of the nicer features of Fusion, and build them into their product before Fusion is stable.

13. rcardona2k

rcardona2k Member

I disagree with the posting of screenshots for a number of reasons:
    1. This is not VMware provided information, therefore is very likely to be wrong, misinterpreted and cause more harm than good, at this point in the product cycle.
    2. Fusion is a private beta so at least one less than trustworthy invitee to the program has stolen VMware's intellectual property and violated their agreement with VMware. (If this sounds like: "blah, blah, everyone does this and blogs about it"...doesn't make it right). VMware trusted their testers, and this is how they re-pay them.
    3. As a developer, I would not want my unfinished alpha work compared to another's final product, even if somethings were "better", etc. Unfinished means that. Fusion, whenever it's released, could be a lot different than what is leaked. Everyone needs to learn: leaks hurt more than help. I cite Apple's past as proof.
    4. People who are really interested in finding about Fusion, don't have to find out about it here. There are plenty of rumor sites and blogs that traffic in this kind of illicit junk, why copycat it here?
    5. Out of respect for Parallels - again I ask, would you go post links to screenshots of Parallels or Parallels collateral on VMware's forums to 'encourage competition?' I'm sure both camps are aware of each other you (figuratively) don't need to act like a childish third party trying to get your way on this feature or that.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  14. mcg

mcg Hunter

OK, so just to be clear, you seem to have posted 4-5 reasons why it might be bad for VMWare to have these screenshots here. They're debatable but credible. However, I'm not seeing anything convincing about why it might be bad for Parallels, other than some misguided "how would you like it if they did that to you" business. This is not an elementary school playground, this is business. No, I certainly wouldn't like it if my competition attempted to point out why their product is better than mine---but that's why they're called the competition.
    Uh, if I were a VMWare customer, and I wanted to point out a nifty feature that the competition has, to help illustrate why I think it would be good for VMWare to have the same---why yes, I would. And there's nothing wrong with doing so, unless of course I signed some private beta agreement not to do so. Presumably that caveat applies to nobody here.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2006
  15. rcardona2k

rcardona2k Member

This is part of my dissent on this thread.
    QED: No one here is able to intelligently speak about Fusion features and compare them to Parallels. Otherwise all discussion here is uninformed, incomplete speculation.

My point? Wait until VMware goes public with Fusion and then real, substantive dialogue can take place and not a bunch of feature what-if whining.

16. mcg

mcg Hunter

I assume, then, that you have seen the private beta agreement, so that you are certain that the screenshots and feature discussions were forbidden? And yet, even if that were so, your beef (and VMware's) is with the original leaker. What's out is out.

And yet, what has VMware done so far? Actually, an employee has posted on that thread to clarify issues discussed and provide additional, substantive information.
    Nonsense. As I just pointed out, some of that info came from VMware itself; and some came from screenshots which, unless you are claiming their fraudulent, are not devoid of information. That our information is limited and speculative is known; and we can take that into account when having our substantive discussion.

Now, if you are not interested in that, go play hall monitor on another thread.

17. rcardona2k

rcardona2k Member

I don't work for VMware nor do I represent them. I can't answer to your speculation on their motivation, what they know, what they may have done, or what they will do.

i like the way you accept that so-called VMware's employee on their word: how trusting of you.

Fair, what's out is out: mostly static screenshots, and scant descriptions; which for all I know could be Photoshopped.

What I do know is, being a developer, these kind of discussions at this stage in a product cycle hurt more than help.

If you don't like dissenters, feel free to ignore me or go away yourself.

18. mcg

mcg Hunter

OK, you're willing to consider it all fraudulent, I'm not. At least the difference is clear.
    Nah, if you won't go away I'll put up with you. I certainly won't ignore you.

19. mcg

mcg Hunter

Last edited: Nov 12, 2006
  20. mcg

mcg Hunter