Getting around buggy Transporter

Discussion in 'Parallels Transporter' started by AppleDog, Mar 20, 2007.

1. AppleDog

AppleDog Bit poster

Hey guys,

After wasting 3 days of using Transporter, I've found 2 ways to get around the BAD_POOL_CALLER BOD. Every time that I used the regular instructions to transfer a Dell laptop into Parallels, I'd get a BOD upon boot. I tried using Mac Transporter over the network and also using the Windows version of Transporter directly on the Dell. I got BOD's trying to load and run the VM into Parallels Desktop for Mac AND into the Parallels Desktop for Windows. Turning off all AV didn't help.

Here's what worked (almost 99%).

After giving up, I purchased and downloaded LapLink's PCmover program. This lets you migrate all apps, users, data, registry entries from a PC directly into an existing VM. It worked flawlessly except for one fact. I had a copy protected application that was locked to the original hardware and did not have the original license code for it on hand, so this one particular app needed reactivation. Not bad, but it was late at night and I wasn't at work where I could get the code. If all your efforts fail, try PCMover. Its cheap and they support Parallels: http://laplink.com/pcmover/mac.html

Wanting to get Transporter working, I tried one last thing. I used Mac Transporter again to create another VM. Upon booting this VM, I got the BOD and BAD_POOL_CALLER message again. Reading and rereading everyone's experiences on this forum, I decided to do this:

1) Shutdown the VM. Don't even bother with SAFE MODE.
    2) Burn a CD using the Parallels Tools ISO (following a tip in this forum), then insert into Mac.
    3) Load the VM, but before running it, change the configuration to point the virtual CD drive to the real CD. Parallels, by default, points to the ISO in your Mac's Parallels Library folder.
    4) Boot the VM. For me, the BOD went away and I was able to log into Windows. When the Windows device detection dialogs pop up on screen, click CANCEL to dismiss every one.
    5) Let Parallels startup batch file do its thing. It finishes and reboots the VM.
    6) After reboot, the VM works. ... with one exception. Windows tries to find an audio driver for the virtual sound device to no avail, so I get no sound. Everything else seems to work fine so far.

Well, those are 2 things that worked for me. Hopefully, the Parallels team can get the bugs out of this software. Its not ready for primetime, but is very close.