Getting Cisco VPN working in Guest OS

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Junyor, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Junyor

Junyor Junior Member

I've just installed build 1970 to test out the new Shared network mode, as others had reported that Cisco VPN connections in the Host OS could be used in the Guest OS. However, that does not seem to be working. I'm connected to the Internet OK in the Guest OS, but I cannot access any of the resources I should via the VPN.

Any help getting access to VPN resources in the Guest OS without using VPN software in the Guest OS would be appreciated! Thank you.

Setup:

Cisco VPN client: 4.9.0 (0050)
    System: Macbook Pro
    Host OS: OS X 10.4.8
    Guest OS: Windows XP SP2
    Parallels build: 2.2.1970
    Parallels tools: 2.2.1970
    Network: Shared networking; Virtual Network Adapter

2. comptekki

comptekki Bit poster

You may want to look at putting your windows install behind the nat feature and then run the vpn via osx.

3. Junyor

Junyor Junior Member

How do I put my Windows install "behind the NAT feature"?

4. jdouglas

jdouglas Bit poster

Works for me.

You might want to double-check that XP's network adapter is set to automatically get it's IP address and DNS server. If it had been previously configured with static values for either, Shared Netowrking won't work.

5. Junyor

Junyor Junior Member

It is set to use automatic values. Note that I'm able to connect to the Internet, just not to VPN'd resources.

6. wbauer

wbauer Bit poster

Since builds 1966, this works fine for me:
    Cisco VPN client (4.9.00 (0050) on Mac OS X and standard network (DHCP) via shared networking mode in Parallels.
    Since the VPN is doing stuff to the Mac OS X connection, you should do a repair on the pc network connection once VPN is active. I usually use the toolbar networking symbol and "repair" - this will force the pc to recheck its network connection and adjust.