Getting connected to the Internet

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Alexander, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Alexander

Alexander Bit poster

Hi, I have Parallels installed... all looked well... until I tried to connect to the Internet from the Windows side of things.

I connect to the net from Mac, no problem.

The user manual provides very little guidance in this regard.

Please point me in the right direction.

Thank you,

Alexander

2. strells

strells Product Expert

Shared networking or bridged? Is Windows getting an IP address?

Steve

3. Alexander

Alexander Bit poster

What is the difference between shared and bridged?

Windows is not getting an IP.

I have a DSL connection... use airport and this is a home line... so no other computers are networked with this one.

4. jkneen

jkneen Member

Bridged is where the VM acts independently of the host machine so it gets it's own IP from your DHCP server and means you can access all your network services as if it's a real machine on your network

Shared is where the host machine acts as a NAT server so your guest network is private with the host machine - you can't access the guest from another machine on the network OR access network services from the guest.

With both modes you CAN however access the Internet and outside world.

Advantages of bridged is that you can have your guest acting like any other machine on the network.

Advantages of shared is that if you're using a Wifi network or network that is tied to the Mac address of your host, your guest can piggy back this and use the same connection.

I would imagine that shared may be slightly slower (but marginally) due to the NAT going on although I can't prove that.

Jason

5. Platinum Samples

Platinum Samples Member

Shared: A Duplicate name exists on the network

MacPro...

I set my BootCamp install up for Shared Networking (as recommended) but when it logs in I get a dialog with the title "Windows system error" and the dialog states "A Duplicate name exists on the network". I have no network in XP. (Bridged works but I still get the error message).

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rail

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  6. Alexander

Alexander Bit poster

I see the following in Windows:

I open Parrallels > Devices > network adapter and choose En1: Airport/wireless adapter

I don't click anything of shared or host only.

** I have now also clicked and unclicked everything in every combination possible... no use.

If I then open Parrallels > Preferences > Network: I see the following:

DHCP scope for host only networking:
    Start: 10.0.0.100
    End: 10.0.0.100
    Mask: 255.255.255.0

DHCP scope for shared networking:
    Start: 10.211.55.1
    End: 10.211.55.254
    Mask: 255.255.255.0

Does this have anything to do with this problem? and if so, how do I fix it?

**If I try to repair the problem in windows... it pops up a message that reads: Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed. Renewing your IP address

Also is reads at the bottom with the little network icon in windows...
    Local area connection
    Speed: 100.0 Mbps

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  7. zero1

zero1 Bit poster

Did you make sure that you installed the parallels tools? If not then from Parallels click Actions and then Install Parallels Tools...

8. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

You need to shut down the vm and open the vm configuration menu. Explore the network configuration. You will have the option of shared networking or bridged networking. If you use shared networking then Windows will get it's IP, default router, DNS server information, and anything else it needs from OS X. If you use bridged networking then Windows will get that information from your DSL router assuming it is capable.

I would imagine that your DSL router is configured to disallow casual connections so you will need a login key or something from the DSL that Windows will use in order to attach. It is far easier to use shared networking and let Parallels and OS X do all the work.

9. Alexander

Alexander Bit poster

Hi,

I've done everything as you said, but no joy... :(

What else can I try?

10. dustonio

dustonio Bit poster

I also had a networking problem like Alexander. I found dkp's comments helpful to get the internet connection on Windows XP to work. I didn't realize it would be so simple and easy.
    Thanks!

11. Alexander

Alexander Bit poster

Thanks for all th help... it ended up being pretty simple... I had to untick proxy... oops! :D