Getting Spotlight to index mounted volumes

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by qwertme, Oct 5, 2007.

1. qwertme

qwertme Bit poster

Does anyone know how to get Spotlight to index the windows files in the mounted volumes?

Thanks

2. pendolino

pendolino Member

spotlighting MS Outlook running on parallels (winXP)

i got here while trying to find if anyone has been able to finda way to index, via spotlight, MS outlook data (running on windows XP for example). this would be a boon to me as i use parallels mainly for outlook emails and calendar and so it would make logical sense to have those results searchable through spotlight.

i am not sure if its technically feasible at the moment but if there are enough people asking for it then it could make sense.

it also may be related to searching mounted volumes as you requested above. i know that spotlight does search external drives (i.e. mounted) but not sure how it would work with a windows drive.

any further insight would be appreciated

3. qwertme

qwertme Bit poster

Part solution

Well, a part solution I have come up with is to mount the directory I want indexed via a network share and enable indexing of it like form the command line using the mdutil tool (mdutil -i on /Volumes/myshare)

I did this via a share because I have noticed that the normal mounted disks from Parallels are a bit slow, via the network it's much faster

This will probably not help you with Outlook, but it's a start. For Outlook you might want to try Google Desktop, I had(removed it, didn't like it) that at the office and it had an Outlook plugin