getting to forum not intuitive

Discussion in 'Parallels Website and Forum' started by mr.mcgoo, Dec 11, 2008.

1. mr.mcgoo

mr.mcgoo Bit poster

I don't know if it's just me but I find navigating to the forum from elsewhere in the Parallels web site is less than obvious.
    I'm finding that I'm typing in the url all the time (which is very obvious thankfully).
    From www.parallels.com I'd expect to find a link under "Community" but as far as I can tell, there isn't a link at all.

So I go to forum.parallels.com manually. Then I do a search, drill in to a thread. Now I want to get back to the forum front screen. "Home" takes you to PTN not the forums home! There are some light grey breadcrumbs tucked away in very small lettering under the page title, that is the only direct way back from there but it is so unintuitive.

I know I can press the back button and all sorts of other methods but when I'm browsing the forum pages, I expect to get back to the forum homepage with one click of something very obvious from any where in the forums.

Cheers
    Chris

2. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

Thanks for the feedback, I've contacted the appropriate team with the description of request.

To go back to forum.parallels.com click 'Parallels Desktop and Parallels Server Support' above the path to current thread, for example
    > General Discussions > Website and Forum Discussions > getting to forum not intuitive

3. mr.mcgoo

mr.mcgoo Bit poster

Thanks estrelnikov,

I will use that in future. But I hope you see my point - I wouldn't have guessed that was a hyperlink let alone a route to the forums home.

Regards
    Chris

4. Parallelogram

Parallelogram Member

I always heard that Parallels intentionally removed the forum link from their main site, because user comments were getting too negative... but then, that is just a rumor.

5. mr.mcgoo

mr.mcgoo Bit poster

Being a developer myself, I can understand that!
    My real point though is that once your in there it's easy to loose your way. The "Parallels Desktop and Server Support" link mentioned is what I'm looking for, it just didn't occur to me that would be the forum home page link.

6. benfsmith

benfsmith Bit poster

@Parallelogram, I am suspicious that you are correct on this. I seem to recall that it used to be more straightforward before PD4 came out. I could be remembering this wrong, but I don't think so. The first time I came to post feedback on the bugs, I remember it being easy. Every time since, I've had to google parallels forum.

7. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

You're correct, the link disappeared from the home page and from the Parallels Technology Network page, and it seems to be intentional, but not necessarily to reduce negative comments but maybe to drive complains and requests directly to the appropriate channels.

PS: (or both ;P)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008