Give me back the ALT Gr Key!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by vilmoskörte, Nov 4, 2006.

1. vilmoskörte

vilmoskörte Member

On previous versions of Parallels desktop for Mac the "Enter Key" on my Mac Book's German keyboard (that happens to sit right of the right command key) used to function like the PC "ALT Gr" key. That enabled me to type characters like @ | \ etc under all operating systems including Linux. Now, with 1970 this function disappeared and I can not longer enter these characters. This makes parallels desktop almost useless.

So please give me back that funtion!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
  2. STim

STim Bit poster

If you want Right Enter to operate as AltGr key in VM:

1. Stop any running VMs, close all instances of Parallels Desktop for Mac.
    2. Launch “Macintosh HD†- “Applications†– “Utilities†– “Terminalâ€.
    3. Type the following commands in Terminal (without quotes), please mind that the system might ask you for the Administrator password after each command – type it and hit Enter:
    4. “sudo touch /Library/Parallels/.keyboard_configâ€
    5. “sudo chmod 666 /Library/Parallels/.keyboard_configâ€
    6. “sudo echo "numenterisaltgr" > /Library/Parallels/.keyboard_configâ€
    7. Close the Terminal.
    8. Launch Parallels Desktop for Mac and check Right Enter key behavior in VM – everything should work as you’ve set.

3. vilmoskörte

vilmoskörte Member

This works, thanks :) . Could this be made an "official" entry in parallels desktop's preferences ? I think most users with a non-US keyboard will have the problem that they need the Alt Gr key.

4. jrietschel

jrietschel Bit poster

yes, works for me too - but only with the "echo" command - apparently, editing the file with vi and having a <LF> at the end makes it nonworking ..

Johannes

5. heyloo

heyloo Bit poster

Korean input used to work with the right Alt key; however it doesn't work any more......I believe the function worked until just before 1940 release. Do you have any solutions for this? On Korean keyboard layout, the right Alt key acts as the key to change the language input.

Is there any way that I could map the right Alt instead of numenter for this transition?

Thanks

6. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

yes i want the right alt key as alt gr too
    i can never find the @ when using the danish keyboard layout on WinXP on Parallels

I find embarassing to have to copy paste from a web page
    like i do for Fußball-Landesverbände to get the "ß" (double s = old style ss )

I use english mostly but
    Øø Åå Ææ are easier and ¨ ´etc too with the double strike on the danish keyboard

All on a UK MacBook Pro with external keyboards
    currently a USB apple keyboard got in Copenhagen
    I could use a USB MS Danish keyboard too but I prefer the Apple command control keys

Cntrl or Command + C or V or X or Z

it would be nice to make these copy paste keyboard short cuts the same for both OS

drag and drop is OK but I prefer to use the mouse as little as possible

Hugh W

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
  7. ksenks

ksenks Parallels Developers

Please try to use "Alt Gr + q" or "Alt Gr + 2" for @

Thank you for sharing your ideas to us. We'll do our best to improve our quality of services according to your notes.

8. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

but I have no alt gross on the standard mac keyboard

Hugh W

9. ksenks

Did you try to follow the instraction:

If you want Right Enter to operate as AltGr key in VM:

1. Stop any running VMs, close all instances of Parallels Desktop for Mac.
    2. Launch “Macintosh HD†- “Applications†– “Utilities†– “Terminalâ€.
    3. Type the following commands in Terminal (without quotes), please mind that the system might ask you for the Administrator password after each command – type it and hit Enter:
    4. “sudo touch /Library/Parallels/.keyboard_configâ€
    5. “sudo chmod 666 /Library/Parallels/.keyboard_configâ€
    6. “sudo echo "numenterisaltgr" > /Library/Parallels/.keyboard_configâ€
    7. Close the Terminal.
    8. Launch Parallels Desktop for Mac and check Right Enter key behavior in VM – everything should work as you’ve set.

What error you got?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2006
  10. joem

joem Forum Maven

Could Parallels please publish a complete list of keywords accepted by .keyboard_config?

Thanks.

11. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

never heard of the "right enter key" jargon

i see you mean the numeric keypad enter key after a quick google

regards

Hugh W

12. ksenks

Yes, "right enter key" means the numeric keypad enter key.

Best regards,
    Kseny

13. STim

STim Bit poster

Joem,

At the moment, there're no other .keyboard_config switches available. We will appreciate if you and the community give us your ideas on the options that should be there.

Best regards,
    Tim

14. joem

joem Forum Maven

I suspect that non-US keyboard users will have much better insight as to what tweaks are needed. I use a US keyboard and a Windows guest. I think that most of the options should be selections in the GUI and not edited into a config file.

I think the major issues are one button vs two or three button mouse, and laptop keyboard vs attached USB keyboard, and preferences for "make it look like Windows" or "pretend Windows is a Mac".

For myself, I want a mode that passes every key to the guest, with reasonable meanings in the guest. Specifically, every combination of control, alt, and shift, in combination with a printing or whitespace (or escape) character should be passed through as themselves. The modifier keys alone should also be passed through. I'm happy to have the command key as a meta key to do things directly to Parallels or OSX. If the left and right versions of keys such as shift could be differentiated, that would be good.

I see the keyboard configuration file as a way to accommodate varied keyboards. I think the best way to do that is to provide a utility that shows the keycode of any key pressed in the host environment, and a file format that allows entries of the form

<NewKeyCode>=<OldKeyCode>

to allow anyone who wants to to create their own specialized map.

Allowing the form [modifier[,...],]keycode=[modifier[,...],]keycode

would provide complete keyboard mapping flexibility.

And while I'm on keyboards, while I don't need it, some folks have requested that the optical media eject key be made to work. An addition to the tools package could implement that, but that may be out of the scope of this discussion.

Thanks for asking.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2006
  15. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

about mousing
    i use MS Intellimouse 3000
    4 buttons
    I meant to get 5
    apple mice are too small for my big hand

the mac driver was out of date but MS have fixed that

If I install the corrrect WinXP driver on the VM

it defeated the Parallels tools
    and would not let go
    so uninstalled that driver to fix it

Hugh W

16. Uly-sses

Uly-sses Member

I'm using Build 1970 on a MacBook with a wireless Apple keyboard.

My right enter key (the one to the right of the numberpad) isn't recognised at all in my XP Pro VM. If anyone could advise why this might be, or how I can rectify it, I'd be extremely grateful. I want it to have its normal enter/return functionality. (The numberpad itself works fine)

Many thanks,

Jason

17. mr.mcgoo

mr.mcgoo Bit poster

I think the issue here is the different interpretation of keyboard layouts between Apple and the PC world. Using Parallels this can become a serious issue - although it's not of parallels making!
    In the UK, @ 'at' and " 'double-quote' are the opposite way round to US keyboards on the PC but on Apple UK keyboards they are the same as the US. When running XP as a VM set to UK you have to remember to ignore the keytops for these keys. I do set the keyboard to US in XP but then I get issues with £, #, €, \ and / which are also different for the UK. I can alleviate this a bit using Windows language bar, but it's all a bit of a faff!
    We could do with a way of remapping certain keys. Win2000 and up can do this via the registry but it is complex. There are remapping utilities out there but that's extra money. It would be nice if Parallels could build in this remapping into the VM. The .keyboard_config file looks like it could be the place to do this.

If you truly want to see how annoying it is, get a UK Mac, load Win XP set to UK via Parallels. Then try surfing the web in Safari, then IE on XP through the same keyboard - or try writing some SQL script full of @ and " symbols as well as #, £ and \ in XP. You'll be banging your head on the table very quickly.

Regards
    Chris

18. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

I have a UK mac
    and us a danish OEM WinXP sp2
    with a danish mac keyboard

I also have a danish MS keyboard

I find Ææ Øø Åå and the double strikes é È è ë ê
    Aa is Å aa is å etc etc

fussball gives Fußball via google if I need an old style ß

I only use safari for apple downloads

Firdfox 1.5 for daily use because the google people recomend it

not 2 that hangs as much as MS IE

MS IE 7 on WinXp 2 but no browser wars here please
    as OT as coffee versus tea discussions

i have not bothered with the fix
    and never use the console on the M;ac

a true mac freak does not hack his machine but uses the GUI to get on with being creative

Hugh W

Beta blogger
    http://snaps4.blogspot.com/" photographs and walks

old blogger
    http://hughw36.blogspot.com/ MAIN BLOG

19. dieterf

dieterf Junior Member

On my german MBP the "NumEnter" also work as Enter

Have done it, but on my german MBP the "NumEnter" (between right apple an cursors) also works as an Enter-Key! Parallels 2.5.3106! Guest: SuSE Linux!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  20. vilmoskörte

vilmoskörte Member

In 3106 there is a preference for this. Just open preferences, select keybard, the very last item is "translate num enter to alrt gr". Check the box.

It works for independently of the guest OS (as it should).