Guest Winxp - Windvd doesn't work

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by 1kyle, May 22, 2006.

1. 1kyle

1kyle Member

Not a real hassle as I've now got Kaffeine + Xine to play DVD's on the Linux host.
    Just for information WinDVD from Intervideo doesn't work -- probably because this app makes significant hardware calls.

99.99% of the apps I've needed to run on Windows have worked so far so I'm very pleased with this poduct.

I'm looking forward to the next release

Cheers

-K

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Can you give some more details on how it fails to work?

3. 1kyle

1kyle Member

It just does nothing. I do know that it makes some special hardware calls probably DMA etc to optimize DVD reading and probably tries to to all sorts of fancy things with the graphics adapters.

It doesn't crash or anything - the program shows the initial WinDVD screen and then just does nothing at all.

I know DVD playing works both on the host (using Kaffeine, Libdvdcss and XINE under SUSE 10.0) and WINDVD also works on Native Windows XP - I installed the same program on the Guest OS
    I'm sure the main problem is probably to do with the graphics adapter virtualisation somewhere.

Cheers

-K

4. Andrew @ Parallels

1kyle,

WinDVD will not work with current Parallels version. It will be fixed in next version by adding passthrough access to actual CD/DVD device.

5. 1kyle

1kyle Member

Thanks - always impressed with how quickly the parallels team look at the problems.

BTW slightly off topic to the point in question but any chance of Burning DVD software such as NERO being able to work with the next release as well.

-K

Last edited: May 29, 2006
  6. Andrew @ Parallels

Once we add passthrough access to real CD-ROM (which is planned for version 3.0) using Nero and other burning software will be also possible.