Hard Drive Space Requirement for Transporter

Discussion in 'Parallels Transporter' started by mrabino1, Sep 3, 2008.

1. mrabino1

mrabino1 Bit poster

I have an XP desktop that I plan to virtualize... C Drive has ~1.5GB free out of 20GB .. and D Drive has 50GB free out of 120GB.... (same physical drive... just partitioned.. both as NTFS)..

Simple question for the forum, when the transporter agent is taking an image of my machine, where is it storing the stream of data? C drive? D drive? or ideally, OR is it streaming the data via network / firewire so that no image data is stored on the host PC?

ALSO,

will the .HDD be 170GB? or 90GB? thx..

please advise.

/mr

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

3. mrabino1

mrabino1 Bit poster

ack'ed... I presently do not own an external USB HD ... based on the #s in this thread, what size drive is needed? or a better way of asking, is the image placed on the external drive first... and then xfer'ed to the mac? or is the ext. drive used as some form of swap drive?

or another way, is the ext. USB HD a requirement given the scenario (that being, that less than half the drives are avail.)? I suppose the real question is if the data is streamed over.. or stored, then xferred...

can we use a network mounted drive instead of the USB? /mr

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Free space should be about the all data size plus 1-2 gb
    Actually you can try to migrate only disk C:, and perform migration on d:
    You can use network share

5. mrabino1

mrabino1 Bit poster

Something also to think about with the ultimate goal of having 100% transport rate without failures...

Might be a stretch for now.. but should work also..
    Direct users to download linuxmint iso... and then burn on to a CD (not DVD)... it is a free CD bootable linux OS that has access to the HD.. but doesnt install anything unless you specifically request it..

On your windows box that has now booted to LinuxMint (which also already has Firefox compiled), users could go to Firefox.. and pull down the transporter app from your website... and run in a linux environment... which would then connect to the mac via the network (IP).. and not need any HD space.. moreover, it would take MS out of the equations as the diskimage would be done while running linux in memory and from the CD.. not running on the drive...

While probably not in the best interest of parallels to suggest to users to download and install a 700 MB ISO to reduce transport failures... Parallels may want to consider having an ISO of their own... that will mount a network drive (direct on the mac) while running some from of memory only OS from a CD...

my $0.02... /mr