Hardware color calibration under emulated W2K

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by firestarter, May 21, 2006.

1. firestarter

firestarter Bit poster

Hi

I'm thinking of getting parallels so that I can run Photoshop at full speed on a Mac Intel laptop. I already have Intel Photoshop, and an old full copy of W2K, so I should be good to go.

My only problem is whether I'll be able to get a color calibrated setup for Photoshop under the emulated OS. I use a Gretag Macbeth Eye One Display 2 hadware calibrator on my Mac - and I understand that it changes the hardware LUT, then posts a colorsync icc profile so that Photoshop knows what the display is.

Since (I assume) there's no concept of a display look up table on the virtual machine, is it even possible to have color calibration under parallels?

Thanks!

2. Squonk

Squonk Bit poster

I'm also evaluating Parallels for use with Photoshop. I bought myself a Mac Mini Core Duo pretty well as soon as they were announced and although everything else got 'switched' to the Mac, Photoshop remained on my Windows machine thinking that I could last out that way until CS3 is released.

As luck (!) would have it my Windows machine has now developed a motherboard fault and although I could replace the motherboard I would rather not spend any more money on that platform, having decided to switch to Mac - I'd rather spend the money on Parallels which is proving much more useful to me that I imagined.

I joined up to the forum specifically to ask about monitor calibration. I was assuming that if I use Parallels in windowed mode then I would be working under my Mac's monitor calibration. However, really not sure what the situation is when using Parallels full screen.

I've not even tried to calibrate under Windows/Parallels yet - maybe I should just get on and give it a go? But it would be useful to hear the official line on this issue.

3. qryn

qryn Bit poster

How does a mac OX Monitor calibration work out on a Win session in parallels?

I was assuming the same things as you two guys. Have you found any results on this matter jet? I am wondering how the calibration on the mac works out in a Windows XP session in Parallels.

Hope anyone can help. Qryn

4. Ynot

Ynot Pro

Heh, i will try it at home, that is interesting for me too. My suggestion that i can calibrate both host and guest monitors independently, but.. it's only suggestion.