HDD Confusion

Discussion in 'Parallels Compressor' started by enthios, Jul 20, 2006.

1. enthios

enthios Member

I posted this in the Mac forum but seems it might be of interest in this one as well. I'm using PD for Mac.

In the configuration editor, my "virtual disk size" is 6000 MB. Clicking on the Advanced tab, it says the actual size of the disk image file is 416 MB. Checking the actual size of the WINXP.HDD file, that shows as 4410 MB.

Which is which??

I would like to know because WinXP keeps telling me that my "hard disk is almost full".

Also, apparently my disk format is "expanding." What is that? I checked the help files in the Image Tool and there is no explanation.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

It seems that information on Advanced tab is invalid. We will try to reproduce this.

3. enthios

enthios Member

Thank you. The main problem is that I keep getting messages from WinXP telling me thaat my "hard disk is almost full".

Another problem is that the second hard disk is not showing up after creating it.

I can send you screen shots if that would help.

4. Andrew @ Parallels

For enabling 2-nd disk you should partition it and format it in Win XP in Disk management utility (Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management).

5. rickgassko

rickgassko Bit poster

What to do about low disk space in Windows XP?

I'm having the same problem as Enthios:

"Thank you. The main problem is that I ke"ep getting messages from WinXP telling me thaat my hard disk is almost full"

What do I do? I saw that the Hard Disk 1 configuration eitor says I should use the Parallels Image Tool Utility, but I don't see where to access it. Also, should I Compact??

6. Andrew @ Parallels

You get this message during Compressor usage or not?

7. rawhiteley

rawhiteley Bit poster

Expanding HD ?? Disk Image Utility ??

Same problem. When I set up, I followed the recomendation and did the expanding HD, starting at only 2GB (since it's supposed to expand, why start larger right?). Well it's not expanding, and I keep getting messages in Windows that I'm out of space. It says under the hard disk properties that to expand I need to use the Parallels Disk Image Utility --- can't find it anywhere. What gives?

8. Andrew @ Parallels

When you creating expanding disk you specify its maximum size. It starts from zero and expanding to maximum size - 2G in your case.

I suggest you to add 2-nd HDD to your VM configuration and move some data to it. To do so first add HDD in VM config and then partion and format it inside guest Windows (Disk Management in Control Panel).

9. rawhiteley

rawhiteley Bit poster

HDD Confusion, Image Tool Utility

I would prefer to expand the size of the existing HDD rather than adding another.

It says in the configuration editor:

"If you need to increase a size of the virtual hard-disk in non destructive way, use Parallels Image Tool utility."

So again- what is the Parallels Image Tool utility, and where do I find it?

10. msimpson

msimpson Bit poster

The parallels "expanding" disk image doesn't actually expand as Windows needs more room. You have to tell Windows to use more disk space.
    There are two steps you have to take to expand your drive -- 1. expand your disk image file in MAC OS. 2. format and configure your added space for use in Windows. Try the instructions in this thread. I used the 2nd method listed further down by BatmanPPC.
    http://forum.parallels.com/thread1481.html
    The Image Tool Utility is in Finder --> Applications --> Parallels.

11. rawhiteley

rawhiteley Bit poster

HDD Confusion, Image Tool Utility

Thanks msimpson,
    I'm quoting you here as the full instructions were very helpful, and it took a while for me to find them, so hopefuly this will help others out:

Batman's method:

Download the live cd from http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php
    Boot your VM from the live cd iso
    Select default values until gpartd starts
    Select partition to resize
    Resize and apply
    Disconnect iso
    Reboot

msimpson added:

You do have to resize the parallels disk image first. Also "Boot your VM" took me several tries to figure out: 1. Edit the settings of your virtual machine to add another CD drive. 2. Point this CD drive to the live cd iso. 3. Change the settings on your new CD drive so that it is the primary drive (0,1) and disable the actual CD drive. 4. Change the boot settings for the vm so that it boots from CD first. 5. Restart your vm.
    The bootup has a step that takes several minutes to complete with no messages to the user, I thought it had hung the first time and restarted. Just wait it out, gparted will eventually appear.
    Gparted ended by giving me an error that made me think I'd trashed the disk image, but when I restarted, everything worked and I had my 60GB drive (well fifty-something).
    Finally, don't forget to reset your CD drive and boot settings.

12. justaccord

justaccord Bit poster

Same problem

Although the posts seem older here, I just joined this forum. I have resized my hdd. The "get info" (properties) of the HD is 8 GB, the new size. The configuration panel reads 8 GB. Within Windows XP prof, I keep getting out of disc space errors. The C drive properties show the C disk at 4 GB.

I had a nightmare of a time "authenticating" my OEM XP (2.5 hours worth!) and do not wish to repeat the experience.

Is there a way to get the disk to recognize its augmented size?

Thanks

justaccord

13. NComfort

NComfort Bit poster

Ditto. The Parallels Property page confirms that my HD is set at 10 Gigs and I can have nowhere near that installed in Windows. I don't actually know how big Windows is, but the Parallels default is 8 GB and I'm above that and have only 2 small additional apps. and a few text files installed so far. Yet I constantly get the "Low disk space" alert. Annoying!

14. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

I use a similar set up but keep all my data in the virtual newtwork folder(s)

I hope if i get a serious problem wth WinXP on parallels I will stil be able to get at my data from the Mac OS desktop
    "My Computer" shows disk c 7.79 gb with 3.4 gb free

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Skrivebord (desktop in a danish OEM WinXP)

the size of
    Parallels Shared Folders .psf
    cannot be displayed in WInXP

so where is it located from the disk usage point of view?

Hugh W

15. Gizmokid2005

Gizmokid2005 Bit poster

Just to answer some questions about disk size, you have to take into account that windows has it's Page File that can get extremely large (2+GB as well as the virtual memory file, which in turn can also get the same size).

16. rtsclement

rtsclement Bit poster

You may find the answer to some of your questions here

17. TonnyC

TonnyC Bit poster

The Parallels Property page confirms that my HD is set at 10 Gigs and I can have nowhere near that installed in Windows. Pandora Beads Silver I don't actually know how big Windows is, but the Parallels default is 8 GB and I'm above that and have only 2 small additional apps.