HELP: Should I upgrade??????

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration' started by nirabh, Nov 13, 2008.

  1. nirabh

    nirabh

    Messages:
    4
    Hello everyone
    I see so many problems with the new upgrade...
    I am using my macbook for school now, and I am affraid that I won't be able to access windows because of the upgrade. (I am using V3 now).
    Can someone PLEASE write the steps one by one here so at least I know not to make any mistake
    I see so many mistakes that people do and I am confused already.
    Thanks A LOT
    Nira
     
  2. aaltieri

    aaltieri

    Messages:
    22
    I would suggest that if you are squeemish at all, hold of until everything settles a bit. Generally, I tell people that if you do not have a reason to update, don't. Don't fix what isn't broken sort of thing. Just kick back and watch us have all the fun. ;-)

    However, as long as you BACK UP YOUR VM you can usually revert back to 3.x with minimal issues so long as you still have the dmg/CD with the install. So you can always just give it a try with the trial version of 4.0. If it doesn't work, revert back to 3.x and wait for things to settle down and some better perspective can be shown.

    Just my 2 cents.

    --anthony
     
  3. bi11

    bi11

    Messages:
    112
    If you need your system to do work and you do not have another solution or virtualization product, then I would hold off on the upgrade. Just judging from the silence today from Parallels support, I think they were "again" caught off guard estimating the potential number of issues they may have had in the product.
     
  4. Parallelogram

    Parallelogram

    Messages:
    44
    Do NOT upgrade. The iPhone client STILL doesn't exist, and the program itself doesn't work at all for many people.
     
  5. benhanson

    benhanson

    Messages:
    6
    Do Not Upgrade Yet

    Don't do it.

    At this point, v4 doesn't look like a massive game changer. Some performance appears to be better, but it's not an extreme difference and stability is definitely an issue, whereas v3 was pretty much rock solid. I've already v4 force the need for a reboot of OS X twice, which is disturbing since my install has been very stable for a long time.

    I'm functioning, but I should have listened to that voice telling me to hold off until the first patch.
     
  6. nirabh

    nirabh

    Messages:
    4
    The problem is that I got the upgrade for free because I bought V3 after September 1 2008
    What should I do?
    and how do I backeup V3
     
  7. aaltieri

    aaltieri

    Messages:
    22
    I just copy the VM directory to an external drive.

    Most likely in your documents or home directory, you'll see a folder called "Parallels". Open it up. Under Version 3, the VMs appear as directories. I just copied (or you can "duplicate") the entire directory.

    Also, when you first launch the VM with version 4, it will ask if you want to back up. It will then ask you where you want to back it up to. So just select the folder for the backup copy (still in Version 3 format) and give it a go.

    Good luck! Let us know if you try it, and how you make out!

    --anthony
     
  8. nirabh

    nirabh

    Messages:
    4
    I got a question:
    I have "my document" in my mac and in xp (VM) as the same folder
    what happens to all the documents that in this folder?
    will it stay in my mac or will it delete it?
    same for the desktop - all the files that are on my xp desktop are showing on my mac desktop
    what will happen to them if the upgrade doesn't work?

    another question:
    when you say that I can go back to V3 if the upgrade doesn't - is that mean that everything will go back as it was (as far as applications and documents)?

    thanks
    nira
     
  9. bi11

    bi11

    Messages:
    112
    nirabh, Your documents will remain in place and not get deleted. As for the question, what to do if the upgrade fails. First and foremost, and it cannot be stressed too much, you should make a complete copy of your parallels machine before you upgrade. If you don't and things fail, you will be at the mercy of a future yet to be released version of Parallels that may or may not solve your particular problem. Upgrade without a backup to your peril. Personally, I am surprised that the upgrade doesn't make you jump through hoops about not making a backup. The upgrade should default to making a copy of your machine itself and upgrading the copy it just made, rather than upgrading in place with no qualms.
     
  10. aaltieri

    aaltieri

    Messages:
    22
    second question first (It's easier ;-)
    I would recommend making a copy of your VM in your case, and upgrading the copy, leaving the original in place. This way, if everything fails, and you have to re-install V3, everything will be exactly how you left it.

    As for the first question: I THINK so, yes. You may need to re-set up any shared folders. But if the files are on your Mac desktop (not just aliases, links, shortcuts, etc...) then that's where they live, so they won't be harmed by any upgrade of the VM. If they ARE links, shortcuts, whatever, then you need to track down the original files and make sure you know where they are. Again, it's possible that after you upgrade, you might need to re map any shared folders.

    Now, I have yet to get the upgrade to work myself, so I speak of general experience in updating software, and updating from V2 to V3. So far, it looks like a few people have been able to upgrade to V4 without issue or with only minor issues. That's why I said at the outset: If you don't need to upgrade, hold off for a while and let the dust settle. At this point, if your VM is working ok, only update with a backed up copy of your VM and only if you are comfortable possibly wasting a bunch of time. If you practice safe methods for handling the upgrade, you won't lose any data and it might even work for you.

    --anthony
     
  11. nirabh

    nirabh

    Messages:
    4
    Thank you guys for the answers. you are great.

    I rather wait... but my question is what will happen to the free Upgrade I receive (again, because I purchased V3 after sept. 1)
    I know that I have to download it until Nov 30.
    Do I need to install it in order to receive it for free - I did get my key to the new version.
    If I wait to the next release will that key still work for me?
    I want to wait after reading all the problems people having.
    Thank God I didn't jump and install - whooo
    I do feel sorry for everybody that it didn't work for them.
    I just want to have V4 - but without all the bugs ;)
    thanks
    Nira
     
  12. mglish

    mglish

    Messages:
    18
    If you have your .dmg file then you are fine. You've already gotten your free software, just as if it were a can of beans and you put it on the shelf.
     
  13. James Bond 007

    James Bond 007

    Messages:
    159
    Then just download the Version 4 software but do not upgrade yet as recommended by other people. If you change your mind later then you can upgrade with the downloaded software. Just remember to keep the Version 3 software handy in case you need to downgrade.

    [​IMG]
     

Share This Page