HELP: Windows VM crashes after OSX reinstall!!!?!?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by pcorchary, Aug 13, 2006.

1. pcorchary

pcorchary Junior Member

I had been a very happy Parallels user ... now trouble.

Had to reinstall OSX on my MacBook 2GHz/1.25Gb. Now, Parallels VM's for linux start OK, but the VM for Win2K -- which of course has critical work stuff on it -- crashes with BSOD everytime, but there were no changes to Windows ... I used that VM maybe 30 min before I started the MOSX re-install. It did remove, and re-install Parallels, and tried both Build 1848 nd 1862. Both work with the Linux VM configs that I have, but not my previously flawless Win2K Vm. Attached is the Windows screen ... seems like Windows thinks that something changed in the hardware ...

Any ideas? MOSX is at 10.4.7, just like before the re-install. My Win2k boot CD says that it can't fix this install of 2K, so it will only re-install, which will overwrite most everything I need on here!

1a.jpg

2. ksigit

ksigit Junior Member

Have you try safe mode (press F8 during boot)? My WinXP installation working fine, even after OSX reinstall.

3. pcorchary

pcorchary Junior Member

Tried that ... all Safe Modes fail in the same way exactly, as does a rollback.

Seems like this pretty much hoarked me, and I'm not only ticked, but very screwed because a lot of work stuff was on that VM.

4. pilif

pilif Junior Member

Hi,

you can at least save the data on the VM by for example booting a rescue CD. Use something like Knoppix or BartPE, boot from the CD and save the data away to some network share.

Philip

5. pcorchary

pcorchary Junior Member

Well, I NEVER was able to get that VM to boot again ... and the Win2000 recover from CD feature didn't help, and in fact the Win2000 CD refused to re-load Win2K over the Top! So, i built a new VM ... data recovery if much simple than then suggestion actually, if you think about it ... just use Parallels feature to add a second HDD, and then boot the new VM and copy over -- but I still lots a lot of valuable stuff ... such as th Registry saved SSH keys for about 1500 linux servers that I access frequently. Have to re-create them all from scratch, not to mention the simple hassle of reloading 20-25 apps.

Anyway, i'm running again. It was a very strange situtation. Obviously it was a 'Windows' problem, but it would be nice to know if I triggered it somehome with some action in OSX or Parallels...