HHD corrupted file virtual Machine

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by cmartins, May 26, 2008.

1. cmartins

cmartins Bit poster

Hello,
    Since this morning i have been trying to start my virtual machine.
    First i received an error that said that it could not started because the some files was beeing used by another program. So i search the Parallels knowledge-base. I followed the article n. 4938. It did not solve my problem.
    It this time, i was receving a message telling me that my files were corrupted.
    So i searched again and followed the article 4680.
    And here i my concerns:
    - when open the "show package contents" of the winxp.hdd file (the original one that is corrupted) i have 2 hard disk files :
    one named winxp.hdd.0.{5fbaabe3-6958-40ff-92a7-860e329aab41}.hds with 24,05 GB and another named winxp.hdd.0.{949e0386-0328-4e77-9da8-71f6c4c60a66}.hds with 3,2 GBs.
    I made a copy of the biggest file, changed the name, edit the configuration on the Parallels virtual machine. I also received the diologue box asking if i wanted me to convert the file. When i click finish and tried to start again the virtual machine it asked me for the the windows xp cdH. So i had to reinstall everything and of course lost all the information.
    I also tried the same procedure with the small hds file and it worked fine. Could open the virtual machine and the xp worked, but i did not have any data on this file. Is there any way to recover the big hds file without having to reinstall windows? Please, i really need to recover my work.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

The reason is that you used Snapshots, and the biggest file is actually delta file.
    Open ticket in support queue, and we will try to merge snapshots

3. cmartins

cmartins Bit poster

HHD problem solved

Hello John,

thanks for the help. After trying everything i found out that my xml file was corrupted and was missing some information. I found some articles / theards explaining how to configure the XML file and even without any special knowledge about XML, late last night i manage to recover everything.
    My virtual machine now is working fine and i did not lose any information.
    Thanks again for your post.

4. John@Parallels

Glad to hear that, you can post hear that link, may be this will helpful for others

5. Peter Edwards

Peter Edwards Bit poster

hi I've had the same problem but don't really know how to fix the winxp file.
    Should I just reinstall parallels and xp? I installed irecordmusic recently - is that causing the problem

Parallels Desktop is unable to access the virtual hard disk image file /Users/peteredwards/Documents/Parallels/Microsoft Windows XP/winxp.hdd. The file is used by other application.

6. John@Parallels

Backup!!! then try

http://kb.parallels.com/en/4680

Please perform backup of Virtual Machine using one of the suggestions in
    Parallels Desktop for Mac user guide from
    http://www.parallels.com/en/download/file/doc/Parallels_Desktop_for_Mac_User_Guide.pdf
    on page 243, e.g cloning Virtual Machine, or simply copying Virtual
    machine folder (when Parallels Desktop is in stopped state), such
    operations if incorrectly performed can lead to data loss.

7. rohit559

rohit559 Bit poster

I am using Parl 3.0 was working on Winxp & the file size is 16.5 GB. It was wroking fine since morning i am getting error i read some of your forums it asked me to remove.lck file which i did but after that it is giving me this error "Parallels Desktop is unable to access the virtual hard disk image" file corrupted, SOS please. I do not have snapshot as i was new to Parl thing can any one help me in this. Thanks

8. John@Parallels

Backup!!! then try

http://kb.parallels.com/en/4680

Please perform backup of Virtual Machine using one of the suggestions in
    Parallels Desktop for Mac user guide from
    http://www.parallels.com/en/download...User_Guide.pdf
    on page 243, e.g cloning Virtual Machine, or simply copying Virtual
    machine folder (when Parallels Desktop is in stopped state), such
    operations if incorrectly performed can lead to data loss.

9. av8r

av8r Bit poster

I am having the exact same problem. Following the http://kb.parallels.com/en/4680 thread after conversion
    it is asking me to do the WinXP install. I believe cmartin whose problem got resolved by fixing the DiskDescriptor.xml
    file, probably did not have any snapshots, where as I do.

You mention that the snapshots need to be merged. How can I do that so I can recover my corrupted VM or the data
    from within it? Any help would be appreciated. I really need to get this resolved.

10. John@Parallels

I assume you have VM, backup
    as a first step try to open Disk using Parallels Explorer, and retrieve all data you need
    After that try to use Parallels Image tool and merge snapshots

11. av8r

av8r Bit poster

John - The VM and the backup that I have are one and the same and its corrupted. If I had a working backup
    I would have just used that to recover.

Anyhow, I have tried using parallels explorer, merge tool etc., they all say that the VM is corrupt. Parallels
    Explorer gives the following error:

Parallels Explorer is unable to open the virtual machine file. Make sure that the virtual machine
    configuration is correct, the virtual hard disk file format is supported, and it is not corrupted or
    used by Parallels Explorer or another application.

If I try to use the Parallels Image Tool, then after choosing the winxp.hdd file, I get the following error:

Image Tools is unable to process the file. The hard disk image you specified is either a read-only file, or
    is used by other application. Make sure that you have the write permissions for this file and it isn't
    used by other program.

If I try to revert to the previous snapshot (or any other for that matter), the error is:

An error occured during reverting to snapshot. Error code is 419502468.

If there is any way to get around these and merge the snapshots, please let me know.
    I need to get the data files somehow, I can always install the program files.

Thanks

12. John@Parallels

Create ticket in support, mention in ticket to forward to John, and put here ticket ID, I will ask information, and contact developers, if there is any chance to restore we will try

13. skygin

skygin Bit poster

Love Affair With Parallels

Create a new VM. Configure it any way you want, and get it to the point where you are ready to install the guest OS (presumably Windows). Before installing the guest OS, edit the VM by clicking on the edit button, then click "Add..." beneath the property table.

Click "Next", then select "Hard Disk", then "Use an existing hard disk image".

Browse to your previous virtual hard disk (the one with the data you want to recover) and choose "Finish".
    Install the guest OS. Be careful not to install it on the virtual hard disk that you are trying to recover.
    When you boot into your new installation of Windows, open Explorer, and notice that your old virtual hard disk is mounted and that all your old data is accessible.

14. NisA

NisA Bit poster

hi, hope someone can help. I recently downloaded Avast AV and whist running a scan I deleted a parallels file and a couple of minutes later my parallels died. I have no idea what I deleted and how to recover it. I went about reinstalling parallels which automatically created a backup of my previous install on my external harddrive. However, after looking at the backedup files no file is greater than 80mb. I had backed up most apps etc. but am most concerned about my outlook.pst file which seems it hadn't been backed up. is there any way in which i could recover this? The Microsoft Windows backup shows a folder with all applications but am unable to associate and open in new VM.

any ideas?