host port configuration not showing up

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by cmtoy, Aug 9, 2006.

1. cmtoy

cmtoy Bit poster

I have been trying to get host Internet Connection Sharing working for awhile without success. when I try to start it, it won't stay started.
    But to make a long story short, that changed, "corrupted" my host configuration where I would not get a DHCP address automatically created both on the parallels client and the host port connection.

I decided to deinstall build 1848 and reinstall. Once I did that, my host started working and was assigning DHCP addresses on both the client and the Mac OS.

To build on that success, I figured that I would try the new beta build 1862 to see if the ICS was fixed. It still is not working and sure enough, when I was trying to get that working, it broke my regular host configuration again.

Sooooo.... I decided to go back to build 1848, but now after installing it, I NO longer have an entry in my port configuration for host.
    I tried deinstalling and reinstalling, yet the host configuration does not show up.

For those of you who do have it showing:
    1. Can you give me the settings so that I can either re-add mine manually
    2. Tell me why it does not get added after I install Parallels.

2. raj

raj Bit poster

That's the same as me

After reinstall of version 1848 the Parallels virtual network adaptor disapperared for me too. Does anyone know how to fix it?

Raj

Mac Book Pro
    OS X 10.4.7

3. raj

raj Bit poster

en(2) ethernet port

Hi,

I've also notices that Parallels installs an ethernet port called "en(2)" (I think). When I uninstall parallels this ethernet port disapperars. If I then reinstall Parallels then en(2) returns.

Any ideas?

Raj

4. juggledad

juggledad Junior Member

What Mac are you using, on my macbook 2gHz with Beta Parallels in the configuration editor, if I select the Network Adapter I can then select "Briged Ethernet" or " Host only networking". If I select "Bridged Ethernet" I have three choices: Default adapter, en0: Ethernet Adapter or en1: Airport/wireless adapter. In any case, when I start XP and go to the networking panel, I get a Paralells network adapter. which gets an IP.

What are you tryiing to do?

5. raj

raj Bit poster

en2 mystery ethernet adapter. Sorted! :)

Hi,

After much playing with virtual and real ethernet adapters I have come to the conclusion that en2 (on my Mac Book Pro) is the virtual ethernet adapter for Parallels. I don't know why it wasn't named and configurared properly. To configure it go to System Preferences / Network / Network Port Configurations / New / (name it "Parallels Virtual Ethernet" and choose en2). That adds a port configuration to Network, and you should now be able to see it and it's status in the Shows dropdown.

Host only network should now work (automatically setup by default install, and automatic Parallels DHCP server IP allocation).

Just incase it doesn't work for someone, a work around might be to assign static IP addresses. I haven't tried this yet.

Raj