Hosting a website in Windows under Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by samlhall, Feb 3, 2008.

1. samlhall

samlhall Bit poster

This is somewhat a variation of an earlier, more complex question I posed, but I think the solution to this would also be the solution to that other.

If I wanted to set up a website in Windows under Parallels running in the Mac environment, what setups/settings would be required in the Mac and in the Windows environments so others could access the website. The web site would need to be set up behind a router.

Appreciate any and all suggestions, pointers, faqs, etc. Many thanks.

-- samlhall

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Use Bridged Networking, than treat the VM like you would any other physical machine when configuring your network. Port Forwarding, etc. should be routine if you are running a web-server. If not, reference the user-manual for the router.

3. samlhall

samlhall Bit poster

Hi Eru --

Use Bridged Networking, than treat the VM like you would any other physical machine when configuring your network. Port Forwarding, etc. should be routine if you are running a web-server. If not, reference the user-manual for the router.

Am in Bridged Networking; have checked the router, made sure port 80 was enabled for the vm's ip; target is a web app on that vm machine.

Most consistent message is "server not found"

Just for a little more detail, the Intel Mac automatically sets up a "Nat for Parallels" connection; by default (using DHCP) it assigns it an ip in the 10.xxx.xxx.xxx range. So there are two configurations: the Intel Mac's Ethernet (manually assigned a 192.168.1.7 ip); and Nat for Parallels (as above).

My LAN behind the router works in the 192.168.xxx.xxx range and that's the only sequence the router will allow me to port forward. So I manually reconfigured the Nat for Parallels to the 192.168.xxx.xxx range. Still will not connect, even though the VM (Windows) ipconfig probe identifies it's as assigned ip number (say 192.168.1.2, as an example). If I try to address that number and the target web app on the VM, I get that "server not found" error message.

And here's the kicker: I'm using a Windows Boot Camp configuration as the source for the Parallels VM. If I am in Boot Camp, the connection is always made. Under Boot Camp, the VM Windows setup just takes over the Intel Mac's manually configured 192.168.xxx.xxx ip number assigned to ethernet -- just directly no bridging involved.

Still flummoxed and stymied.

- bob

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Did you mess with the nat settings at the CLI level or the System Preferences level?

You really shouldn't have to touch ANYTHING. What does Parallels has as it's IP in Windows underneath the active Network Adapter?

5. samlhall

samlhall Bit poster

Hosting a website , continued

Hi Eru,

Ummm, I messed with everything, actually, but everything is back to its original state, viz: The manually set ip address, Mac's Built-in ethernet: 192.168.1.100
    The NAT address as provided in the Mac's Network System Preferences: 10.211.55.109

Parallels shows this as it's IP in windows (via cmd |>ipconfig): 192.168.1.102

BTW, what do you mean at the "CLI" level

Also I notice under Boot Camp I have two internet connections: 1394 and Local Area Network; under Parallels I have just one (with fewer setting options)

Continued thanks.

-- bob

6. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

CLI = Command Line Interface.

Alrighty, try un-installing the Parallels application, restart, then install it again, and restart it again.

Now, make sure that Parallels still is set to use Bridged Networking and that your VM has access to the internet.

Try to access your VM's website now.

7. samlhall

samlhall Bit poster

CLI = Command Line Interface.

Alrighty, try un-installing the Parallels application, restart, then install it again, and restart it again.

Now, make sure that Parallels still is set to use Bridged Networking and that your VM has access to the internet.

Try to access your VM's website now.

So, no I did nothing in the CLI except to verify the guest Window's ip number. For my purposes CLI = Could [really] Louse It [up horribly], so I'm very careful with that.

I definitely will take your suggestion and try it, but not until Friday since the boss (my wife, whose bookkeeping service I support by doing all things computerized) is away for a few days and wants NOTHING to go wrong with the machines for her workers. So everything is back to Boot Camp for a little while.

I will follow up for sure, however.

Tx

saml

8. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Okey doke, I look forward to seeing the follow-up.

If I happen to miss your thread on a forum pass, bounce me a PM (Private Message).

9. jfBLOOM22

jfBLOOM22 Bit poster

I was having the same issue - unable to access a web service hosted by Windows XP in Parallels 5.
    Solution:
    1) In the Virtual Machine Configuration Window under the Hardware tab - choose Network Adapter
    2) I have Type set to Bridged Networking - Default Adapter
    3) Navigate to Network Connections in Windows XP - Right click on Local Area Connection and choose properties
    4) Click the Advanced Tab - then Settings and turn off the Firewall
    5) restart the VM

Does this work for anyone else?

10. ehurtley

ehurtley Member

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

11. ehurtley

ehurtley Member

Alright, I am running an externally-accessible web server in a VM just fine. Here are my stats:

Mac Pro running Snow Leopard 10.6 host OS
    Parallels 5 (worked in P4, as well,)
    Windows Server 2003 R2, 32-bit guest OS
    Custom web server app running in SSL mode (aka "HTTPS" on port 443.)
    Apple AirPort Extreme (Gigabit -N model,) as my router, to Comcast cable internet.

I have the MacOS side set up default.
    I have the VM set up for bridged networking-default adapter.
    I have all my guest Windows OS networking set up default.
    I have my AirPort set to grant the same internal IP address to my VM based on its hostname (x.x.x.143)
    I have my AirPort set to forward port 443 (the HTTPS port,) to my VM's IP address.

I can go to https://<mycomcastipaddress>:443 from any public internet connection, and I get the web page I expect to get. (The same one as if I go to https://localhost:443 on the VM itself.)