Hosting an ACT! database with 5-6 users

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by extensivegroup, Apr 13, 2007.

1. extensivegroup

extensivegroup Member

Curious to know if any of the known firewall issues might still be an issue with hosting an ACT! Database under Windows XP? I'm curious as I would like this solution to work.

I'm planning on hosting on an iMac 24" that will also run other design software. ACT will be the only thing running under Windows.

There are 5-6 other people that will be constantly connected to this database.

Curious to know thoughts? Thanks in advace!

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Well... If you use Bridged Networking it shouldn't be an issue. I run a SQL Server on my XServe without a hitch. Get a trial and test it out!

Cheers!

3. extensivegroup

extensivegroup Member

Thanks for the assistance -- but it's not quite as simple as "grabbing a trial" as an entire Windows install would depend on whether this works or not. I'd like zero downtime.

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

You would like zero downtime? As in 99.9% not being acceptable? Or just minimum possible. I get ~99% on my virtualized Windows SQL server.

If you have a trial and you like it, just swap out the trial key for the key you buy takes 15 seconds.

I have about 30 minutes of interaction on a Windows install now, then toss on the applications on top of that. You probably will lose an hour or two of time, tops. It's worth it if you are seriously considering it. I think it would work. The headaches would occur if you started messing with Shared Networking which requires custom configs of the natd and ipfw.