Hotsync Manager ticking me off!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ajanke, Mar 13, 2007.

1. ajanke

ajanke Bit poster

When I only had bootcamp windows, I could hotsync my Treo 700 without a hitch. I installed parallels and now I cant hotsync. At startup, a hotsync manager window pops up and says that COM1 is unavailable and hotsync will retry when it becomes available. I cant sync w/ USB connection or bluetooth. Help.

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

The USB for that device is passive - it does not announce it's presence until you push the physical button on the cable. Your VM has to be configured to automatically attach USB devices otherwise OS X will grab the connection when it goes live.

3. ajanke

ajanke Bit poster

Configuring VM

I also posted on this topic. Is that where you install the driver for XP into the VM? I dont think I know how to do that. Back to hotsync....even when I push the button, it still doesnt go live! It doesnt do anything.

4. ajanke

ajanke Bit poster

is this also why windows isnt reading my card reader?

5. lesedwards

lesedwards Bit poster

I've had intermittent problems with parallels recognizing my Treo 680, plugged into a cradle. One solution that seems to work (so far) is to pull down the DEVICES from the top menu, select USB and then click PALM.

6. ajanke

ajanke Bit poster

I tried that and it says that the port is being used by another application? I cant figure out how to change the ports.

7. al_ctsurgpa

al_ctsurgpa Bit poster

USB hotsync

I had some intermittent problems with my Palm T3 in the past, All was better with the build prior to 3188, Then I upgraded to 3188 , I would get the connection tone and then nothing.

I just noticed that when I right clicked on the hotsync tray Icon that there was no checkmark next to the Local USB,

after re-checking that as my conncection all worked.

This may be over simplistic and your problem may be more complicated ,but I missed it until now and I can hotsync as I was before my upgrade to 3188

Al

8. johnq@internode.on.net

johnq@internode.on.net Junior Member

What works for me, although very clumsy is the following:

Start the VM,

Push the hotsync button and listen for the "connection" sound,

Cancel the hotsync on the palm,

Press the hotsync button again,

voila, the hotsync application starts up in parallels.

I have not worked out how to make the connection persistent when you close the VM.

Regards

John

9. rcooke

rcooke Bit poster

Treo 680 is an ACTIVE USB device, that is, it makes contact to the host computer even before you press the SYNC button.

This can cause strange results if you connect through a USB hub, for example. I have a 680 - used to have a 650 - and am finding similar 'problems'. My 650 (and I think 700p would be the same) was eaiser since it was a PASSIVE device. And I just had to press SYNC, select it in the DEVICE list, cancel Sync (unless I could do the first two steps in less than 7 seconds or so) then press SYNC again. The second press is necessary because the passive Palms, after their initial contact attempt, go into various alternative modes that are not likely to ever connect.

Anyway, for the passive devices, having the USB set to autoconnect should work best. It should work fine for the active devices too.

The down-side is every OTHER USB device you plug in will first go to Windows. And that could really confuse cameras and some USB keys.