How do access .hdd without booting in guest OS?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by akatimr, Feb 23, 2007.

1. akatimr

akatimr Junior Member

I have a little emergency, and can't boot my VM with Windows XP... I've tried all the safe mode options with no luck.

I've also tryied reinstalling Windows, and there is something screwy with the log on, that I can't fix. So, a new installation doesn't give me access to the .hdd. I tried installing VM w/Windows on a new .hdd, which works, but then I can't seem to get access to the original .hdd filw where i have data that I need to get.

Now, I'm trying to get my Outlook .pst file off the .hdd - anyone know how I can do this?

2. constant

constant Forum Maven

Unfortuneately, this can't be done. If you haven't already done so, now would be a good time to start making alternative arrangements. ;-)

3. akatimr

akatimr Junior Member

Thanks for the quick reply, constant. So, what if I made a Linux "Live CD," could I boot with that, designate the .hdd where my data is, and then have access?

4. constant

constant Forum Maven

The only way to get access to a .hdd file is to start that vm in Parallels. From there is the windohs problem you have described.

The best thing I can think of, is to start the install by booting from the xp cd, and at the first prompt, choose to do a recovery from the console. Then you'll need some application to copy things to a floppy perhaps.

5. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Bit poster

If you've created a new VM with its own HD, you can add your old HD as a 2nd drive to the original (it'll show up as E: )

6. akatimr

akatimr Junior Member

constand & zwilnik, thanks for your help! Great idea zwilnik. I didn't know I could do that, and it is a perfect solution. BUT, for some reason my .pst file was ZeroK when it should be like 1.5G. I can't figure out why that happened.

i've reintalled everything from scratch on a new VM now.

Your help is much appreciated.