How do I add software to Shared Applications?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Sami Sinerva, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Sami Sinerva

Sami Sinerva Bit poster

How do I add additional Mac OS X software to Parallels Shared Applications?

I have been trying to find a way for a while now but can't. I read somewhere that it adds Shared Applications when you install Parallels but I want to add some new software, that I've installed in Mac OS X after my Parallels installation - and I can't find a way... Am I missing something here or what is going on?

Otherwise, very happy with the latest release of Parallels. Everything working perfect. I have a Macbook Pro with a XP bootcamp installation, that I use through Parallels in Mac OS X.

2. wonder_mice

wonder_mice Hunter

You can:

1. Reinstall Parallels Tools

or

In Windows:
    1. Start->Run. Type "cmd", Ok.
    2. Using "cd" command go to "C:\Program Files\Parallels\Parallels Tools"
    3. Type "rundll32.exe PrlSAShellExt.dll,reg_host_apps" and hit Enter key

You can also use "rundll32.exe PrlSAShellExt.dll,clean_host_apps" to kill all shared applications before step 3

Yes, I know it's awful. In next 3.x there will be a more easy way to do it :)

3. wonder_mice

wonder_mice Hunter

Oh, just forgot! To add specific program you can just right-click in Windows on file with extension supported by this application %)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  4. Sami Sinerva

Sami Sinerva Bit poster

rundll32.exe PrlSAShellExt.dll,clean_host_apps worked perfectly. Too bad nothing happens when I try to re-register the software with rundll32.exe PrlSAShellExt.dll,reg_host_apps. Now I have no Shared Applications.

Well, I guess I will have to reinstall Parallels just to get the Shared Applications back.

Maybe my PrlSAShellExt.dll is a bit different then yours; mine is 1.0.0.1.

I did not really get what to do on your second post. According to you, I can right click on an application in Windows (but the applications I want to share are in Mac OS X)...

Thanks for the help anyway. Looking forward for the next version of Parallels with better support for Shared Applications.

5. wonder_mice

wonder_mice Hunter

Stop... PrlSAShellExt.dll,reg_host_apps MUST work! As I understand right you have now empty Parallels Shared Applications list? It is nearly to impossible %) Try to execute reg_host_apps once again...

Yes, thats the feature =) For example, you have TextEdit on Mac - it supports txt file extension. If you right-click on .txt file in Windows you will see TextEdit in the Windows Open With list and it will appear in Parallels Shared Applications menu.

6. wonder_mice

wonder_mice Hunter

Btw, 1.0.0.1 is not true version of PrlSAShellExt.dll =) Use PrlSAShellExt.dll,version to get version information ;)

7. Sami Sinerva

Sami Sinerva Bit poster

That was weired. I did not see the Parallels Shared Applications folder at all first. Then I tried the "right click" function you suggested and after that, it showed up (with the other applications too). Dunno what was wrong there before that.

Anyway, this was way easier to add new apps to Shared Applications then playing around with the DLL, since you can choose what apps you want.

Cheers! Works perfect now!

8. MeloH

MeloH Bit poster

How do I add additional Mac OS X software to Parallels Shared Applications in Parallels Version 10?
    On the windows side, the Parallels Sharing Applications folder is empty, I've even tried copying over some programs and that worked...until I restarted the computer. Now they have disappeared. Help!