How do I disable Shared Desktops

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by SnakeEyes, Sep 26, 2007.

1. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

I've decided I don't like the extra clutter both sides have. How do I disable this feature?

2. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

with VM selected and stopped

PD Menu >> Edit Virtual Machine >> Configuration Editor >> Shared Profile Options

uncheck [] Enable

new to me
    I just experimented with the menus until I found an answer

Hugh W

3. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

It says "Feature is not available if Hard Disk 1 is configured to use Boot Camp."

4. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

SnakeEyes, isn't your VM a bootcamp one?

Best Regards,
    Alicia.

5. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Yes it is. In a prior build I was able to turn this feature on.

6. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

SnakeEyes, do I understand you correctly - you enabled a shared desktop function for a bootcamp-configured VM in a prior build and now you want to turn it off?

Best Regards,
    Alicia.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  7. brkirch

brkirch Pro

Launch TextEdit and choose "Open..." from the "File" menu. Then select "Documents" from the column on the left, then select the Parallels folder and then your Boot Camp virtual machine folder. Double-click the pvs file in that folder to open it. Then look for a line that says "Shared Profiles enabled = 1" and change it to "Shared Profiles enabled = 0". Save and the shared profile setting will be changed the next time you start up the Boot Camp virtual machine.

8. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

SnakeEyes,

brkirch is right and it's the proper way to handle it. If you need the whole Shared Profile function disabled, do as brkirch suggested. But if you need only Shared Desktop function disabled, you should change the meaning from "1" to "0" in the next line in the pvs file, i.e. line with "Shared Profiles use Desctop".

Best Regards,
    Alicia.