How do I send just Ctrl-Alt

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Martin Zardecki, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Martin Zardecki

Martin Zardecki Bit poster

I use a Windows guest to manage my VMWare ESX server since the VMWare tools only come in a Windows flavour.

If I ever use the VMWare Client console then it requires me also to send Ctrl-Alt to escape it which in turns takes me out of the Parallels guest session instead of the VMWare Client console.

Of all the combination available to send from the Parallells tools Ctrl-Alt is not one of them.

Any advice?

Thanks

Martin

2. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

what a cool concept - using parallels to run vmware :)

You could try binding your keyboard (or an external usb keyboard, probably best to use a pc keyboard) directly to the vm; then no keys are mapped, and every key press is sent directly to the VM, including ctrl-alt. If you do this with an external usb keyboard you will still be able to switch out of the VM into your Mac. You'd operate the VM using the external keyboard.

3. netbrain

netbrain Bit poster

got to preferences>keyboard and change the release key sequence to something other then CTRL+ALT

4. ABR

ABR Bit poster

Customize the VM's own shortcuts

I was not able to change any of the "Application Shortcuts" (where Release -> Ctrl-Alt) was given, but I *could* edit the shortcuts available to the VM to create a mapping to send Ctrl-Alt. In my case I set it up so when I hit F3, it sends Ctrl-Alt to the VM.

5. CharlieL

CharlieL Bit poster

Just use fn+Ctrl+Alt.

6. LouisVH

LouisVH Bit poster

(Left side of keyboard) Command + Option + Control will break you out of VMware console (Ctrl+Alt).