How long for a FAT32 BootCamp fix?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by luomat, Dec 3, 2006.

1. luomat

luomat Hunter

Ok, well the BootCamp thing is very cool, but given that NTFS is read-only, I suspect a lot of us are using FAT32 for our XP BootCamp installs.

Any idea on how long we can expect before a FAT32 BootCamp compatible version appears?

Hours? Days? Weeks?

2. blaix

blaix Bit poster

I'd also like an idea on when to expect this. I was so excited to find out about the bootcamp support. It was the only thing holding me back from using Parllels. So I went ahead and installed it, only to find out it didn't work because my partition is fat32. Extremely frustrating...

3. ylsul

ylsul Bit poster

Same here

Heh, I also purchased a copy of parallels *just* for the boot from bootcamp functionality. I really hope they get this bug sorted out!

4. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

thats why Parallels has a 30 day FREE trial ;)

5. ATXP

ATXP Member

Good thing is, there's a 30-day trial. Now, I just have to wait for that fix.

I'm having some problem with some product that the software doesn't work as well on Mac. After a year of chasing the tech support department of that product, they suggest that I buy a Windows PC. My primary setup is all-Macs and I will never switch to Windows machine. So, the closest I can work something out is visualisation. Because I have Boot Camp, I have to reboot every time I need to use Windows. And I constantly need to use that product in question. Rebooting s a waste of time. Honestly, I only need Windows to check web contents and Boot Camp comes handy. If Parallels get to fix the FAT32 bug soon, I could have solved all my ongoing problems. My credit card is waiting. And I'm preparing to share this info with that tech dept. who asked me to buy a PC.

6. PubGuy

PubGuy Hunter

Well, the currently "Released" version of Parallels works fine. I use it daily for Internet Explorere / MS Excel to access a confidential web site (using active X controls). Loads fast, can suspend and restore. Why wait for "the next version"? The current version will do everything you want without having to reboot with Boot Camp.

The new "things" are new features, but these guys have a few weeks worth of work to debug and release another BETA for testing. This is not ready for general availability.

If you need this functionality now, I would recommend downloading the currently release version through the normal web site and install and test that. It sounds like it would satisfy your needs and the next version will still be a free upgrade, so there is no down side. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

7. ylsul

ylsul Bit poster

heh

Sadly, I jumped the gun a bit too soon. On the other hand, my installation of ubuntu runs really well...in the long run, I'm sure I'll be happy with parallels.

8. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

FAT32 and other Boot Camp fixes are on the way. Please be patient.

9. Moondougie

Moondougie Member

thanks for the reply and info!!

guess I'll wait, and use my current FAT partition when that comes rather than reformat and reinstall (Windows and all my programs in Windows)

10. luomat

luomat Hunter

A simple question

I asked "Are we talking days or weeks?"

You answer "On the way" and "be patient"?

"On the way" could mean anything from "Uploading it to the servers" to "Later this week" to "Later this month".

11. superchink

superchink Bit poster

Thank you for the status update. I think that's what everyone was waiting for. An acknowledgment of the problems people were having. We can't wait; these are killer features.

12. rlutterb

rlutterb Bit poster

any updates? (bump)

13. luomat

luomat Hunter

another week?

The silence is deafening.

14. akac

akac Hunter

Development isn't always something you can schedule. From experience one may THINK its sometime within the next week or two, but then it takes two or three or more weeks because of a remaining issue that you have to solve. Its somewhat like asking when is Goldbach conjecture going to be solved.

15. luomat

luomat Hunter

What I was asking for was the "From Experience" estimate.

"We think we will have a new version in a few days"

"We expect it will take a week or more"

Unlike the Goldbach conjecture, we do expect this situation to be fixed "soon" but what is at issue is what is a reasonable definition of "soon".

Hours days weeks?

16. Echelon

Echelon Bit poster

Any new updates

I was so excited to see that Parallels was able to boot from my Bott Camp Partition. I was so close to buying Parallels. I'm only glad I tested it out first and found that is won't read my Fat32 partition.

You guys are pretty amazing and innovative, but this seems like a bit of an oversight -- I'm willing to bet most people went the Fat32 route given that OS-X can read/write to that partition.

I hope Parallels updates this soon -- I'll be certain to buy once they do.

Any updates on timing? Hours? Days? Weeks? When Leopard comes? When Vista comes? ;)