How to Install Parallels after Boot Camp?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jesschoen, Apr 6, 2007.

1. jesschoen

jesschoen Member

Hello--

I am new to the Mac world but excited about working in it on a MacMini. I have a new MacMini with 2 gigs of RAM and a 160 gig hard drive.

I installed Boot Camp first and it seems to be working fine in the 60 gig C partition. I installed a number of old Windows programs on the Windows partition. Then I installed Parallels Desktop which seemed like a separate installation of Windows on a 32 gig virtual drive. Within the Parallels virtual drive, I cannot see the programs I previously installed on the Boot Camp Windows partition. Except for this problem, Parallels seems to be working fine (Microsoft gave me an additional verification number). I am using Parallels Build 3036.

How do I reconcile the two Windows installations so that Parallels sees the Boot Camp partition and the programs that have already been reinstalled?

Thanks so much for any help.

James

2. CorpSuit

CorpSuit Junior Member

When you installed Parallels did you choose the option of Boot Camp when setting up Virtual Machine?

3. jesschoen

jesschoen Member

I didn't see a Boot Camp option when installing--as I recall the options, they looked like choices to install Windows from scratch--perhaps I missed something???

James

4. jesschoen

jesschoen Member

I figured it out. I uninstalled the software and then installed a later build (3188) which had the support for Boot Camp. It initially seems to be working OK although I understand there are some other problems with 3188.

Thanks.

James